7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2018 1:51 AM by krzemien

esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process allocates MANY TCP Ports in CLOSE_WAIT state.

RonT

On December 20, 2017 I installed the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and found that after a few hours of system uptime, my web browsers would not connect to the internet.

Restarting the Windows OS always allowed the browsers to operate again (for a few more hours).

Running netstat -o in Windows Powershell showed a VERY LARGE number of entries looking like this:

TCP    192.168.0.3:55694      modem:5431             CLOSE_WAIT      9264

Process 9264 was: esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process

I uninstalled the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and another run of netstat -o showed the expected results.

• 1. Re: esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process allocates MANY TCP Ports in CLOSE_WAIT state.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello RonT,

Thank you for joining the Intel® Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter. 

Please let me review this matter, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process allocates MANY TCP Ports in CLOSE_WAIT state.
            AlekDavis

I have the same issue. A few hours after rebooting computer, it cannot connect to any website (even running on the same machine). The error in event log says:

"TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint."

I ran Resource Monitor (this is Windows 10 x64 system running on a NUC Skull Canyon) and noticed that the esrv_svs.exe process  has tons of open connections. Once I killed the process, the system goes back to normal functioning. It sounds like the Intel(R) System Usage Report service is not closing connections properly. Pretty much makes the whole system dysfunctional.

At the time of this post, I have all the latest Intel software and drivers installed (at least as reported by Intel(R) Driver Support Assistant).

• 3. Re: esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process allocates MANY TCP Ports in CLOSE_WAIT state.
              krzemien

The same here, spotted recently loads of Bits-Client / EventID: 16398 in System log (via Event Viewer):

A new BITS job could not be created. The current job count for the user PC\username (60) is equal to or greater than the job limit (60) specified through group policy. To correct the problem, complete or cancel the BITS jobs that haven't made progress by looking at the error, and restart the BITS service. If this error recurs, contact your system administrator and increate the per-user and per-computer Group Policy job limits.

Quick check using TCPView &  Process Explorer combo and I managed to narrow the culprit down to this process (esrv_svc.exe).

It started in the New Year, once I updated to the latest Intel Driver & Support Assistanta and It (unsurprisingly) impacted other software I have, namely Garmin Express, which started splurting Sorry we're having a problem communicating with our servers messages, and it never had done it before.

• 4. Re: esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process allocates MANY TCP Ports in CLOSE_WAIT state.
                mkrienke

I'm having the same problem on my PC at home after rebuilding with the latest Windows 10 Creators Edition.  The computer is losing its LAN connection frequently.  Getting tired of rebooting almost every time I sit down at the computer, I dug deeper.  Running netstat -ano resulted in hundreds (maybe thousands) of results where the PID associated with esrv_svc.ext is using/attempting to use almost every port with a CLOSE_WAIT state.

It seems that the problem usually (maybe always) occurs when the computer awakens from sleep mode.

Event Viewer:

TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TPC/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection.  To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint.

• 5. Re: esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process allocates MANY TCP Ports in CLOSE_WAIT state.
                  krzemien

I also spotted exactly the same behaviour on another system (laptop with Win8.1 x64), my main one is PC with Win 10 x64.

Also, and if that helps, I remember that Intel Driver & Support Assistant update process on both systems was rather strange: having declined to share my information with Intel there was the usual command prompt-alike window opened showing process of removing/updating (can't remember) one of these services: USER_ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK or USER_ESRV_SVC_WILLAMETTE - but in both cases this has not terminated itself and required me closing this window.

• 6. Re: esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process allocates MANY TCP Ports in CLOSE_WAIT state.
                    StingRay.Miller

Same issue.  Installed the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" a few weeks ago with no issues.

It then detected new drivers for my Bluetooth and Wifi card.

After upgrading everything worked fine for about a week, then I start losing Internet.

My MultiPing and PingPlotters would still be pinging IPs and I could do a ping on a DNS name, but all browsers, Outlook and Skype said offline.

I then tried telnet and SSH and go the following error "An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full."

I then looked at Netstat and realized all of my sessions were full.  I attached the Netstat outputs as well as the debug file for the Intel program.

I restarted esrv_svc_queencreek service and all is fixed.  Except the issues keep reoccurring every 4-6 hours.

I tried to stop the service and mark it disabled, but it re-enables itself and starts again.

• 7. Re: esrv_svc.exe - Intel(R) System Usage Report process allocates MANY TCP Ports in CLOSE_WAIT state.
                      krzemien

I think something's cooking @ Intel about it, from Intel® Driver & Support Assistant FAQ in the last two days:

The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) is getting a tune up.  We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you need a driver or software, please use Intel Download Center.