12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 1:15 PM by Ronald_Intel

Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620

kriegaex

Hello community!

I have posted this question before on the Twitter support channel. The reply said I should ask here, so I will just repeat what I wrote there:

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon X1 5th Generation high-end laptop with Intel HD 620 graphics and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

The simple game Extreme Tux Racer does not work for me, the penguin and the herrings to be collected as well as other graphical features are invisible.

Tech Info created by the Intel Graphics tool installed on my laptop:

> Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

>

> Berichtsdatum: Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2017

> Berichtszeit [hh:mm:ss]: 17:15:35

> Treiberversion: 23.20.16.4849

> Betriebssystem: Windows* 10 Pro (10.0.16299)

> Physischer Speicher: 16238 MB

> Lieferanten-ID: 8086

> Geräte-ID: 5916

> Geräterevision: 02

> Version des Graphics Output Protocol (GOP): 9.0.1061

> Aktuelle Auflösung: 1920 x 1080

>

> Prozessor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz

> Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2904 MHz

> Verwendete Prozessorgrafiklösung: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

> Shader-Version: 5.1

> OpenGL* Version: 4.5

> OpenCL* Version: 2.1

> Vulkan* Version: 1.0.0

>

> * Microsoft DirectX* *

> Runtime-Version: 12.0

> Hardware-unterstützte Version: 12.0

>

> * Mit dem Grafikbeschleuniger verbundene Geräte *

>

> Aktive Displays: 1

>

> * Digitales Fernsehen *

>

> Displaytyp: Digital

> Seriennummer: LUWST0018524

> DDC2-Protokoll: Unterstützt

> Gamma: 2,2

> Verbindungstyp: DisplayPort

> Gerätetyp: Digitales Fernsehen

>

> Maximale Bildgröße

> Horizontale Größe: 23,62 Zoll

> Vertikale Größe: 13,39 Zoll

>

> Unterstützte Modi

> 640 x 480 (60p Hz)

> 640 x 480 (67p Hz)

> (...)

> 1680 x 1050 (60p Hz)

> 1920 x 1080 (50i Hz)

> 1920 x 1080 (60p Hz)

> 1920 x 1080 (50p Hz)

> 1920 x 1080 (60i Hz)

> 1920 x 1080 (75p Hz)

>

> Unterstützung für Energieverwaltung

> Standby-Modus: Unterstützt

> Suspend-Modus: Unterstützt

>

> Unbearbeitete EDID:

> 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 04 72 CA 02 85 6C 80 73

> 26 1B 01 03 80 3C 22 78 CA 7B 45 A4 55 4A A2 27

> 0B 50 54 BF EF 80 71 4F 81 40 81 80 81 C0 81 00

> 95 00 B3 00 D1 C0 02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C

> 45 00 56 50 21 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FD 00 38 4C 1F

> 53 16 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC 00 53

> 32 37 31 48 4C 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FF

> 00 4C 55 57 53 54 30 30 31 38 35 32 34 0A 01 F6

>

> 02 03 2D F1 4F 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 90 11 12 13

> 14 15 16 1F 23 09 07 07 83 01 00 00 67 03 0C 00

> 10 00 38 2D 68 1A 00 00 01 01 28 4C 00 02 3A 80

> 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C 45 00 56 50 21 00 00 1F 2A

> 44 80 A0 70 38 27 40 30 20 35 00 56 50 21 00 00

> 1A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 11

Here you can see a screenshot and that others have the same problem:

https://sourceforge.net/p/extremetuxracer/discussion/help/thread/197ef1ba/

• 1. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
          Leonardo_intel

Hello kriegaex

I received your inquiry and I understand that you are having display problems with Extreme Tux Racer. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing. I will be more than happy looking for a solution.

After looking into your case I would recommend updating the graphics driver; I notice that your driver version is 4849, I wanted to share with you that for Intel® HD Graphics 620 there is a newer version which you can download on the following link https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27355/a08/win64_15.60.01.4877.zip

For the installation of the driver, you can follow the steps on https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

As an additional recommendation, you can try playing the game with lower graphics setting and let me know the outcome

Regards,

Leonardo C.

• 2. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
            kriegaex

Hello Leonardo.

I tried installing that marginally newer driver before, but I got an error message saying it cannot be installed because it was not certified by my laptop's hardware manufacturer Lenovo:

error-message-driver-installtion.png

Furthermore, what do you mean by "lower graphics settings"? I tried with resolutions as low as 800x600 before, no change. I even edited graphics settings in a config file manually for that game, no difference. So, with all due respect, if you just send me prefabricated default answers this is not what I call help. Installing this really small little open source game and trying for yourself on similar hardware with the same graphics processor would maybe help more.

BTW, which specific change in the newer driver suggests that it would make a difference anyway?

• 3. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello

I apologize for the inconvenience

If you are having this error with the installation it means that you need to force the installation I order to do that you need to follow the steps in the link above one by one.

Of course, we can proceed to do test in our laboratory with your scenario to replicate the problem, it will take about a week, but I will be working on it  

Regarding the recommendation of updating the diver please bear in mind that the divers include fixes and comparability improvements

In the meantime again please complete the installation of the driver, and test the game again

Regards,

Leonardo C.

• 4. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                kriegaex

At the very beginning of the video explaining manual installation via device manager there is the same warning as with normal driver installation:

warning-generic-drivers.png

Are you really suggesting me to ignore this and risk my system's integrity, warranty and manufacturer (Lenovo) support just so as to install a driver which is two months more recent and differs in the 4th digit of the version number in comparison to the latest one supported by Lenovo?

• 5. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                  kriegaex

And by the way, if I do as suggested in the video, I cannot force the installation either because Windows says the "best" driver for this component is already installed (sorry, my Windows is German):

manual-installation-result.png

• 6. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                    Stefan3D

@kriegaex

Try latest driver 23.20.16.4901 in ZIP format from Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.60]

To bypass "Die besten Treiber..." message install driver via "have disk method" as described at:

www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

(ignore prolog about MS surface)

No guarantee it fixes anything.

If you have doubts about a generic driver you can always restore the previous state via "Systemwiederherstellungspunkt".

https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

• 7. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                      kriegaex

Thanks for the additional information about manual installation. I succeded:

updated-driver.png

As I predicted, the driver update does not fix anything, though:

tux-racer-screenshot.png

Does this qualify me for being taken serious enough for support? I would be delighted.

• 8. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                        Intel Corporation

Hello kriegaex

Thank you for your response, I will be working in our laboratory  try to recreate the issue to be able to find a solution for you, will get back you in about a week

Sorry for any inconvenience  

Regards,

Leonardo C

• 9. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                          Intel Corporation

Hello kriegaex

Thanks for your time waiting, I wanted to share with you that I was able to work on the laboratory with your scenario, using Intel® HD Graphics 620, the latest driver version 15.60.2.4901 and with the game extreme tux racing. When I load the game I had the same display problem that you have, to assist you further we have to proceed with a deeper investigation.

In order to collect precise data can you fill out the table on the following link https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761 and post it this thread, that information will really help us whit the investigation.

Regards

Leonardo C.

• 10. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                            kriegaex

Actually, I do not understand this chicanery. I provided all info necessary to reproduce the issue as you already reported: You can reproduce the issue in your lab. So to what avail am I doing this over again?

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon X1 5th Generation high-end laptop with Intel HD 620 graphics and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

The game Extreme Tux Racer does not work for me, the penguin and the herrings to be collected as well as other graphical features are invisible.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon X1 5th Generation

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                            ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Just a laptop with on-board graphics

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                            LFP
                            = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                            EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP: Full HD (1920x1080)

EFP: Full HD (1920x1080), connected via HDMI

The problem occurs on each type of display.

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                            ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

See screenshot below

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

See attached SSU report

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

What is CUI? I cannot see any VBIOS version information on the graphics adapter information page, but I have attached a report from the Intel graphics adapter settings tool again, just like earlier in this thread.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

23.20.16.4877 - more details also in the attached report from the Intel graphics adapter settings tool

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Extreme Tux Racer 0.7.3

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Does not make any difference, but most of the time clone

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

See attached reports: 1920x1080, 59 Hz. But I tried other resolutions and frequencies, the problem is just the same.

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Power cable plugged in

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                            A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Install "Extreme Tux Racer"
                            2. Run the game
                            3. Note that the game character (penguin), the herrings to be collected as well as other graphical features are invisible. Only the background looks normal.
                            4. I have already attached a screenshot earlier in this thread. For what it is worth, I am attaching a copy now.
                            • 11. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                              Intel Corporation

Hello kriegaex 

Thank for the information provided, my apologies for requesting the entire set of information, we are going to start a further in this matter, we appreciated your time and patience.

Regards

Leonardo C.

• 12. Re: Game "Extreme Tux Racer" problems with Intel HD 620
                                Ronald_Intel

Hello kriegaex,

I would like to confirm that we have been able to reproduce this issue in our test lab. Internal bug ID 1406738385 has been filed.

While I cannot promise any particular outcome, I'll update this thread as soon as we have any news or updates.

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.