Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

CPU Turbo Mode problem

PWech1
Beginner

Hello, i have an ACer predator 317-51 with an intel®core™i7-7700hq CPU.

The CPU is permanent in Turbo mode with 125%. No Software running in Background. System 2x new installed, same problem.

Is this normal or can anybody help me?

Sorry for my bad English

Thx

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Hastur,

I understand you are having a problem with you CPU usage which is in turbo mode without any background program running. Allow me to help you regarding this issue that you are facing.

Just to let you know, in order to increase the frequency of your processor the only tool that Intel® has will be the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility. If you have this utility installed and in use please verify the configuration on it and decrease the frequency of your processor.

If you do not have this installed the problem might be with the settings of the Acer Predator you have. Let me ask you: Have you checked by any chance if there is any "boost utility" in the BIOS of your computer.

In addition, I have found that for this model of laptop there is a software called "PredatorSense" which allows to increase the frequency of the processor, have you used it? If so, can you double check the settings on it to decrease the usage of the processor?

Additionally, Windows can be causing this issue as well. Please follow these steps to double check if this is the problem:
  1. Go to Control Panel.
  2. Click on Power Options.
  3. Click on Change Plan Settings.
  4. Click on Change advanced power settings.
  5. Look for an option that says "Processor power management" it will has a dropdown menu.
  6. On the dropdown menu look for "Maximum processor state" and set "On battery" and Plugged in" options to 99%

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
PWech1
Beginner

Thanks for the answer.

Its now all fine. CPU runs fine. thx

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Hastur,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

It is really good to hear that your system is working properly now.

It has been my pleasure to assist you regarding this issue and thank you for all your patience.

Antony S.

0 Kudos