5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 4:25 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Can i use Cryorig M9i with 8700K stock?

frusciante23

Hello. I bought cpu 8700K . And cooler:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/M9i/

Can i mount using this cooler? Somebody said that this cooler is too bad. Thank you for opinion.

Memory GSKILL 2x8GB 3000mhz

• 1. Re: Can i use Cryorig M9i with 8700K stock?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Processors communities. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

In  regard to your inquiry, the TDP of the processor is 95 W, so as long as the fan covers that amount of wattage or higher it should work just fine with the Intel® i7-8700K processor. Keep in mind that will also depend if the fan is fully compatible with the board and the case, to confirm that we recommend to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the unit:
          https://www.techpowerup.com/contact/

Also, remember that the proper memory RAM configuration for this processor is: DDR4-2666MHz, we advice to use the memory at that speed, 3000MHz might be too high.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: Can i use Cryorig M9i with 8700K stock?
            frusciante23

My memory is 3000mhz 2x8GB GSKILL. And any reviews said that this cpu will be much faster with 2666mhz above memory speed. So why you say that this can be too high?

2666mhz and above is recommended for 8700K.

• 3. Re: Can i use Cryorig M9i with 8700K stock?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you for that information. Yes, we recommend to use the processor at stock configurations with default BIOS settings, the memory controller is located on the processor and it is the one that indicates the max speed that should be set for memory RAM, if you force the processor to run at a speed it does not support it might get damage. It is the same scenario with overclocking which is not cover under warranty, you can always use the processor at 3000MHz, is just that we advice to comply with the specifications for the better performance of the computer.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: Can i use Cryorig M9i with 8700K stock?
                frusciante23

Ok so why many peoples using and recommending ram speed above 2666mhz to make fully performance of 8700K?

And why ram producers are selling ram with 3000mhz+ speed.

• 5. Re: Can i use Cryorig M9i with 8700K stock?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

I will state this clearly:

1. Intel validates for and certifies the operation of their processors to specific speeds. In this particular case, it certifies the processor (from 2133) to 2666 MHz. Any speed above this certified level is considered to be an overclocking the processor. Intel does not certify that the processor will operate correctly at these higher speeds.
                  2. The ability for a particular solution (processor+motherboard+DIMM(s)) to operate at a certain speed is dependent upon a number of factors. Most important is the design of the motherboard. The problem is noise. Noise is generated by the processor, the DIMMs and by other components attached or connected to the motherboard. The design of the memory bus(es), including such factors as trace length, bus termination, etc., is critical to the sustainable noise levels and bus speeds possible. In addition, you must take two issues into account: (a) the noise generated by two identical components (including processors) can vary significantly and (b) the noise generated by a component will increase as the component ages. From these two issues, understand that: (1) given two identical solutions, it is possible that one could work and the other not and (2) because a solution works initially, this does not mean that it will work always.

Ok, what does all this mean?

1. Will a solution involving this particular processor and 3000 MHz memory work? Provided that you are using a good quality motherboard, it should work, but (a) this is not guaranteed and (b) the fact that it works today does not mean that it will work in the future. Obviously, the faster you operate the memory bus(es), the closer you will be to the noise failure thresholds and the sooner that you will reach these thresholds.
                  2. Can faster memory make a difference to system performance? Yes. Will this difference be significant? IMHO, No. Why do DRAM producers sell faster memory? To make more money off the suckers that fall for the hype.

...S