Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

which driver should I download for an Intel q965/q963 Express Chip Family ?

TJenk
Beginner

pleeeeeeeeeease help

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, this is a very old chipset. And, there is no "driver" per se. The chipset inf is just a definition, or names for devices you have.

So, why is this important? You are likely trying to get the latest graphics driver, for Windows 10. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now, the answer. If you are running Windows 10, there is no updated chipset inf, and the only driver you can get for your graphics is that which Microsoft provides.

So, if you are running Windows 10, there is nothing you can do because your chipset, and your processor, and your graphics are not supported.

If you are not running windows 10, then tell us what you are running,

Doc

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner

How about Windows XP drivers?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This is a four year old thread.  You should have started a new thread.

Regarding this chipset, long discontinued and removed.  XP has not been supported since 2014 if I recall correctly.

It is time to get a new(er) system and migrate yourself to Windows 10.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Provided you have an add-in (NVIDIA/AMD) video card that works in this system, you can attempt to run Windows 10. It has inbox drivers for these chipsets and associated processors and for most third-party hardware used on boards back then. It is only the chipset graphics that is not supported. Even better, if you are doing a from-scratch install (i.e., not an upgrade), you can use your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 license keys!

Now, that said, this is still a very old motherboard and likely on its last legs. I still encourage you to upgrade your hardware to a supported platform (8 Series chipset and 4th gen processors are still supported, though on the cusp of being discontinued).

...S

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner

Okay thanks - almost done - so Windows 10 running and all seems good - graphics drivers too - but have a horrible yellow exclamation mark with the PCI Serial Port and PCI Simple Communicatons Controller in the Device Manager...??

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The one labeled PCI Simple Communications Controller is actually the interface between the main processor and the Intel Management Engine (ME). This is known as the Intel Management Engine Interface (iMEI) or as the Host-to-Embedded-Controller-Interface (HECI). This is one of the few optional components that I mentioned. When I get back to the house, I will check my stash for a package old enough to support this chipset series.
The serial port having an error is a surprise. Is it saying it has no driver?
...S

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner

For Serial Port

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The attached package is the oldest that I have in my archive. You'll need to install it using the have-disk process from Device Manager.

...S

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner

IS this for the communications controller?

Not getting it right please remind me about the 'have disk' routine...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here's the process:

1. Extract the files from the ZIP file into a temporary folder.
  2. Right-click on the Windows Start Button and select Device Manager entry.
  3. Right-click on the PCI Simple Communications Controller entry and select Update Driver.
  4. Select Browse my computer for drivers and then click on the Browse... button.
  5. Use the Browse For Folder dialog to select the temporary folder that you created in Step 1.
  6. Use the Ok button to proceed with the install.

I am crossing my fingers that Windows 10 will accept this device driver. It is pretty old.

...S

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner

Perfect. PCI Simple Comms Controller sorted. Thanks!

Now how do we sort out the PCI Serial Port? 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is unclear why this is not resolving itself. Have you tried doing a Scan for Hardware Changes from Device Manager?

If this doesn't work, go to the entry for the PCI Serial Port, right-click on it and select Properties. In the resulting dialog, go to the Details tab, select Hardware Ids  and reply here with the top (longest) string in the "PCI\VEN_..." strings displayed.

...S

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner

Yes I did do a Scan for Hardware Changes ...

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2997&SUBSYS_2801103C&REV_02

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ah, that is the Intel AMT SOL (Serial Over LAN) interface. Right, you have Q965/Q963 chipset, so you would see this interface as well as the IMEI (HECI) interface.

I dug deep into my archives and found what I hope is the rigth driver to resolve this (and work with Windows 10). Same as before, do a have-disk install of the driver.

let me know if this works,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oops, try this version (other package was not old enough).

...S

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner

Made some progress - the PCI card was actually removed when I installed the Nvida 210 graphics card.... thought this might have been causing a problem so replaced the card. Lo and behold now had TWO PCI Serial ports... your older SOL.zip files sorted the one nicely... however, the second did not - the Hardware ID for this one is: PCI\VEN_9710&DEV_9835&SUBSYS_00021000&REV_01

Thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So that is a MosChip PCI Multi-IO Controller. That isn't something that we used on any of the Intel Desktop Boards 965/963 products, so I don't have a driver for it in my archive. I took a quick look on the Internet and found a driver here: http://deviceinbox.com/id/ven-9710-dev-9835.html. I downloaded the package and extracted the Windows 7 x64 driver folder. There is an executable for installation but, since you want to use it with Windows 10 and since I don't necessarily trust the site I pulled it from (and since it likely wouldn't execute on Windows 10 anyway), I suggest you do only a have-disk install using this folder.

Hope this closes out everything,

...S

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner

Not quite... driver not working ... but may be because this is the x64 and I need the 32bit.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here's the 32-bit version.

...S

0 Kudos
DonOne
Beginner
0 Kudos