Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Automatic Verifying and Repair

FVisc1
Beginner

Question: I've been using RST for years, the most annoying issue I've had is the automatic verifying and repair process after a dirty/bad or forced shutdown. Although during the boot process after the shutdown the bios will show a good raid volume (I use raid 1) as the system loads the "verifying and repair" process starts bringing my system to a near standstill, could be as long as a half hour before I can get into the UI and cancel the process. I schedule verify and repair checks for off hours so I know my system is functioning. With Windows you know you are going to have the occasional program hang or crash or less than perfect shut down, I need a work around or a better way to deal with this, any suggestions. I'm running Win 7 Enterprise on an I7 machine using RST build 14.8.0.1042. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello skydyver83,

Thank you for contacting Intel support,

I understand that you are having problems with the Automatic Verify & Repair of the Intel® RST (Rapid Storage Technology), I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Regarding the inquiry, there is actually no way to disable the automatic verify & repair of the Intel® RST, this is due to the fact that it makes sure nothing was corrupted during a bad "shutdown" of the system. I apologize for the inconvenience but this is to check that no corruption was made.

Also, the system gets almost to a standstill because the hard drives need to be checked completely to make sure there was no corruption.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
FVisc1
Beginner

Thanks David,

I appreciate your response and understand. The issue I have with this is nearly every time this happens, errors are never found and the computer is useless to me for a minimum of 30 minutes before I can manually get in using the UI and cancel the check or many hours (usually most of the day) if I let it run it's course.

My usual approach is to is to stop the process as soon as the system allows me and schedule a "verify and repair" to take place after the work day which almost never finds any problems but offers "peace of mind". Is it possible to not let the program start automatically and start it manually after the reboot when I have some control over the system rather than losing all that time? Murphy's Law always seems to be involved because it usually happens at critical times :-0

Thanks for any other advice/suggestions you can offer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello skydyver83,

Thank you for your response,

I understand that this utility is not working out as you expected it and it is disrupting, however, this utility was implemented to avoid any possible data corruption or data loss since it checks when the unit has not been turned off properly.

There is no way to actually disable that automatic Verify & Repair, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello skydyver83,

I am following-up with your case and I see that we have not heard back from you,

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Were you able to solve your issue?

Do not hesitate to reply for further help!

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
FVisc1
Beginner

Thanks for your response. although you couldn't offer a solution or work around I at least now I know on my next build I should look at other raid solutions to avoid this issue.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello skydyver83,

Thank you for your response,

I definitely understand your position and I apologize that there is no workaround. However, It was my pleasure to assist you.

I will proceed to close this thread, if you need any more help do not hesitate to create a new thread so we can assist you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos