Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

UHD 630 Audio Problem

DSmit41
Beginner

I built an HTPC with the new coffee lake and z370 platform to enjoy streaming services in UHD with HDR. However, I've run into a problem that I haven't been able to solve.

When I connect my HTPC to my receiver through HDMI, I get noise in my subwoofer channel. The noise is worst when there is movement on screen, whether scrolling down a page, watching an animated gif, or playing a video. When the screen is static, it is mostly silent, with only the occasional burst of bass noise. After trying different HDMI cables, changing inputs on my receiver (and even a different output from the receiver), disabling all other onboard devices (LAN connections, realtek audio, etc.), and swapping the power supply, I couldn't get rid of the noise. If I connect a Roku device with the same cables, there is no noise. Only with the HTPC.

I then connected the HTPC directly into the TV and ran an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. That fixed the subwoofer noise issue but introduced a couple new ones: (1) now my only options in the sound settings are "stereo" and "dolby atmos for home theater" whereas before I could choose from a whole suite of options (quadrophonic, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc.); and (2) since my receiver is now only connected to my tv through an optical cable, it can't send its OSD to my tv, meaning I can't see menus to calibrate, change settings, get visual feedback of volume levels on screen, etc.

The best solution would be to get the HDMI working with no subwoofer channel interference, because then I can use the OSD and have access to all the sound options. But at this point, I'd even be thankful for a way to get my full array of sound options in the intel audio settings so that I can set it to more than just stereo while I try to figure out the HDMI issue.

HTPC Info:

CPU: i3-8100

Mobo: Gigabyte Z370N Wifi

Graphics: Only UHD 630 (no PCIE card)

Audio: Only Intel (realtek onboard is disabled)

Video Driver: 23.20.16.4849

Sound Driver: 10.24.0.1

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265: 20.10.0.6

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Probably a "ground loop".

Check out:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

0 Kudos
DSmit41
Beginner

Thanks, Stefan. I've tried everything I can think of at this point and haven't been able to eliminate it. Swapped HDMI cables. Swapped subwoofer cables. Swapped power cord cables (for both the computer and subwoofer). Removed the paint from the motherboard mounting posts to ensure the posts contact bare metal. Ran a copper wire from the PC chassis to the phono ground pin on the receiver. Updated all drivers. Disabled other onboard devices. Nothing works. But the Roku doesn't have bass noise. So it's definitely an issue between the HTPC and the receiver. I'm just completely stumped by what it is and feeling pretty frustrated.

In the meantime, I can output directly to my TV to avoid the noise problem. Is there any way to fix the error I'm getting with the Intel sound application only giving me options for stereo sound? When I connect to the receiver, I have all the options, from stereo to 7.1, with everything in between. But when I connect to the TV, I only see stereo and Atmos. And trying to enable Atmos results in no sound.

0 Kudos
rviei7
Beginner

Hello, I'm looking for a htcp 4k @ 60 hdr, does this setup suit you?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dsmith77,

I understand that you are currently experiencing problems with the audio output via HDMI.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dsmith77,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Please provide me with the report requested above.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
FAsla1
Beginner

Hello there.

I am having same issues but infact noise is in all speakers.

@ intel

Need solution Plz.

0 Kudos