1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 4:53 PM by Intel Corporation

No WLAN after Bios update on RS3

Pawel.work

Compute Card CD1M3128MK, no WLAN after Bios update to MKKBLY35.86A.0042.2017.1108.1922 on Windows 10 Professional Fall Creators Update (RS3 1709 16299.215).

After Bios Update and new Installation of RS3 no WLAN device is visible in Device Manager (even as hidden device).

• 1. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
          Pawel.work

Addendum: in UEFI Firmware Configuration Settings WLAN Option is disabled (Grey inactive option). However Bluetooth is enabled and is working well.

• 2. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Pawel,

I understand you are facing an issue with your Compute Card which is not having WLAN access after the BIOS update you performed. I will be more than glad to assist you regarding this issue.

For me to perform a deeper research with respect of your problem please let me know which is the docking station you are using with your Compute Card furthermore, how are you trying to connect the Compute Card to the Internet, via Ethernet Cable or Wireless.

In addition, have you tried to download the latest drivers version for the ethernet or wireless? Please refer to the following link to achieve so: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=CD1M3128MK

Antony S.

• 3. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
              Pawel.work

Dear Antony,

Just for clarification. This observation is based on Engineering Samples from Developer Kit (two sets) I got from Intel in September (not mass production devices). I have no evidence that the same issue happens on mass production Hardware.

By both Compute Cards WLAN Setting in bios was disabled after Firmware update 042 (this was not the case by last update 036).

I also see some dependency from the Dock side, as with one of the Docks I can enable the WLAN Setting in bios. Using the other Dock (both look to have same Hardware stage) the WLAN Setting is disabled and greyed out, so I cannot enable the WLAN.

Yes, I am using the latest Drivers installed on pure OS (RS3).

Here the hardware configuration:

m3 Compute Card: CD1M3128MK, J39466-501

m3 Compute Card: CD1M2128MK, J39466-500

Card ME Firmware: 11.8.50.3425

Card EC Firmware: 6.5A

Dock (both using the same Hardware): DK132EPJ, J38729-500

Slot EC Firmware: 4.12

On top of this, after firmware update 042, both Compute Cards reporting "Excemption communicating with Compute Card" from Eject Tool.

BR

Pawel

• 4. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                Intel Corporation

Hello Pawel,

Thank you very much for the information provided, I really appreciate it.

Since you mentioned that the ethernet and wireless drivers are up to date, just for testing purposes, please let me know what happens when you connect your Compute Card via Ethernet Cable? Do you have Internet connection?

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.

• 5. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                  Pawel.work

Dear Antony,

Yes, the Ethernet Connection is working properly.

The WLAN Connection is not working because the Firmware WLAN Setting is disabled and the device is blocked. Once this Setting is enabled the System is recognizing WLAN correctly (Device Manager is showing WLAN device and everything is working fine). But for some reason on the one Compute Card this Setting is greyed out in firmware, so I cannot re-enable this Option.

It is not a Driver issue it is a Device Management problem in Firmware.

Should I open another thread about the Eject Toll issue?

BR

Pawel

• 6. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Pawel,

Thank you very much for your reply. At this level I am not able to provide you with the proper answer in order to solve this issue. I will escalate this issue to a higher level of support in order to give you a more accurate solution, take into consideration that this might take some time for us to give you a response nonetheless, as soon as we have it we will definitely let you know. Please accept my apologies for any type of inconvenience that this might be causing you.

Antony S.

• 7. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                      Pawel.work

Dear Antony,

As already mentioned, I do not have evidence that this issue is affecting mass production Hardware, so it is okay for me to wait for solution, which I assume will come with next public Firmware update.

More annoying is the issue with Eject Tool warning that avoid the proper Docking control of the Compute Card. I hope this will be solved with next Firmware update as well.

BR

Pawel

• 8. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Pawell,

I would like to inform you that I am still doing some research and some tests with a Compute Card we have at our labs. I will definitely let you know once I have a solution.

Antony S.

• 9. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Pawel,

Allow me to share with you that I have recreated this issue you are facing at our lab. I have installed the latest BIOS version (0042) and installed Windows 10 Pro RS3 and I was able to connect to the Internet via Wireless.

I would like to suggest you to perform a Bios Recovery, if you are not familiar with it please follow the instructions of this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023860/mini-pcs/intel-compute-cards.html
                          Please let me know the results.

Antony S.

• 10. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                            Pawel.work

Dear Antony,

Unfortunatelly this will not solve the issue.

I see some dependency from the Docking Unit, as the same Compute Card is showing Greyed Out WLAN Option (see attached Picture) on one Dock device but on the other Dock device (same Hardware stage) the WLAN Option is activated.

I cannot load earlier Firmware Version via BIOS Recovery or BIOS Update function, just to check the behavior on Bios 036, which was OK before I update to 042.

BR

Pawel

• 11. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Pawel,

Thank you very much for the information provided and I am sorry that the previous troubleshooting steps I attached did not solve the issue you are facing.

Please be aware that a BIOS downgrade will not be possible as per the Released Notes of the latest BIOS update (0042). Please find that information the following link: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27351/eng/MKm3_0042_ReleaseNotes.pdf
                              We can try, as another alternative, to perform a clean installation of the wireless drivers by following these steps:

1. Download the latest Wireless drivers using the following link: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27008/eng/WIFI_WIN10_64_20.10.2.exe
                              2. Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software.
                              • Open Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) from the Control Panel.
                              • Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.
                              • When prompted, choose to discard settings.
                              1. Uninstall your wireless driver. Windows* with an inbox driver may natively support some wireless adapters. You cannot uninstall an inbox driver. Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.
                              • Go to Device Manager.
                              • Expand the Network Adapters category.
                              • Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
                              • Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
                              1. Clear out your temporary files.
                              • Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.
                              • Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.
                              • Place a checkmark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.
                              • Press OK and wait.
                              1. Reboot your computer.
                              2. Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator and follow the wizard to completion. 

Please understand this Compute Card is a pre-production unit and the results of a Firmware Update may vary.

Antony S.
                              • 12. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                                Intel Corporation

Hello, Pawel

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps I attached in the post above and the results.

Antony S.

• 13. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                                  Pawel.work

Dear Antony,

As mentioned before, this issue is hardware/bios related problem and not driver issue.

That means, the problem root cause is bios settings (WLAN disabled and option Greyed/inactive) preventing WLAN device to be detected by system (no WLAN device DevID is visible in Device Manager, even as hidden device).

Once this WLAN setting is set to enable (this will happen if I insert this compute card to another/same HW revision Dock), the WLAN card will correctly be recognized by system and existing drivers work properly.

It really seems that there is something wrong with Dock HW/firmware configuration, influencing Compute Card bios settings.

As reported, with the Firmware Update to 042 I lost the management capability for Eject tool, means the tool is reporting Exception Failure and the Eject Symbol at Docking is sometimes not visible (off).

Therefore a question, how to check and update/reset Firmware of Docking Unit?

Kind regards

Pawel

• 14. Re: No WLAN after Bios update on RS3
                                    Pawel.work

Just see another Firmware Update (044, from Dec?). I will check this update and report results soon.

1 2 Previous Next