Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

40-120hz

idata
Employee

My notebook internal monitor supports a vertical refresh range between 40 and 120 hz.

Even if the monitor inf has all definitions and all frequencies, the intel driver displays only frequecies in the range 40-100.

ALSO

If i try to add a custom resolution, I always get the message that the maximum bandwidth has been exceed and that's totally crazy because this happens even if I try to add 1920x1080 @ 55 Hz (or 65 Hz).

I am using the latest drivers 23.20.16.4877

The graphic card is an Intel HD 630 on a kaby lake cpu.

Isn't it time that you fix this??

ALSO

In control panel >> display >> custom resolutions >> help

there is a mention to an advanced mode.

How to enable it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Zibri: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Graphics communities. We will do our best to assist you with this scenario.

In order to deliver the most accurate response, please provide the SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Also, please provide the Graphics report, right click on the desktop of the PC, select "Graphics Properties", then choose "Options and Support", then "Information Center" and then click on save at the bottom of the right corner.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I checked both of those reports and there is nothing useful to this specific problem.

Just take a recent laptop with intel/nvidia combo in prime.

Then try to add a custom resolution and you will have the same problem.

By the way, I could add custom resolutions but only using a third party utility named CRU (custom resolution utility)

Using that I added many custom resolutions and refresh rates and they all work.

Moreover, if you just do a google search for "intel custom maximum bandwidth exceeded" you will find many results (first of which is this very forum).

These are anyway the details of my intel video card (on a clean Windows 10 home installation, on an ASUS ROG GL703VD laptop):

System Type:"x64-based PC"

- "Display"

Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"1.7.49.0"

- "Intel(R) HD Graphics 630"

Adapter Compatibility:"Intel Corporation"

Adapter DAC Type:"Internal"

Adapter RAM:"1.00 GB"

Availability:"Running or Full Power"

Bits Per Pixel:"32"

- "Caption":"Intel(R) HD Graphics 630"

Link:" http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=HD+Graphics+630"

CoInstallers:"oem54.inf,iKBLD_w10_DS,Internal,Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

Color Table Entries:"4294967296"

Dedicated Video Memory:"Not Available"

Driver:"igdkmd64.sys"

Driver Date:"12-01-2017 02:00 AM"

Driver Path:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_7b7c820d186f8dec\igdkmd64.sys"

Driver Provider:"Intel Corporation"

Driver Version:"23.20.16.4877"

INF:"oem54.inf"

INF Section:"iKBLD_w10_DS"

PNP Device ID:"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_591B&SUBSYS_1BC01043&REV_04\3&11583659&1&10"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"Not Available"

Refresh Rate - Current:"50 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Maximum:"100 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Minimum:"20 Hz"

Resolution:"1920 X 1080"

Scan Mode:"Noninterlaced"

Service Name:"igfx"

Video Architecture:"VGA"

Video Memory:"Unknown"

Video Processor:"Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Anyway, I wasn't seeking for help to set a custom resolution (I succeeded manually) but just to inform you that the "add custom resolution" feature in the intel graphics settings application is totally broken on laptops.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Zibri: Thank you for sharing that information, Intel really appreciates the feedback provided by all the peers in our communities, so thank you very much for your comments and for letting us know about this scenario.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can see similar reports here

and here

https://www.reddit.com/r/24hoursupport/comments/6k8fjn/custom_resolution_and_refresh_rate_on_intel_hd/ https://www.reddit.com/r/24hoursupport/comments/6k8fjn/custom_resolution_and_refresh_rate_on_intel_hd/

and in many other google results.

Also, my monitor edid advertises only 59 Hz and 60 Hz but supports between 20 Hz and 110 Hz vertical refresh on any resolution up to 1920x1080.

Adding a CUSTOM resolution should just be that! Adding non standard resolutions and see if the monitor supports them.

And this is what happens in NVIDIA control panel.

Unfortunately my intel/nvidia combo is PRIME so any change in resolution is not enable on nvidia card but on the intel card.

That's because on PRIME, nvidia "layers" over the intel card and the intel card is "in charge" for the basic things like resolution, refresh, etc etc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Zibri: Thank you very much once again for sharing all those details and providing further suggestions, they will be very useful for all the peers looking at this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos