Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Will Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit work on a new PC that has a Z270 chipset (Asus Z270 TUF Mark 2) with an Intel Core i5-7500?

RKora
Novice

Hi,

My old PC finally died (Asus P5N-T deluxe with Intel Core2 Duo E8600 - 10 years old and worked great until it wouldn't boot) :-<

I need a new PC and I am trying to fit it in my budget but I would prefer to build it myself (30+ years experience).

Will Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit work on a new PC that has a Z270 chipset (Asus Z270 TUF Mark 2) with an Intel Core i5-7500?

I want to install the OS then upgrade to Windows 10 before the end of the year (and the end of the free upgrade).

But, will Windows 7 ultimate 64bit even install with a Z270 chipset motherboard and Intel Core i5-7500?

Thanks,

V/R

Steve

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
RKora
Novice

Stefan3D,

Thanks for the quick answer.

Does anyone have any experience if the Windows 7 OS will even install?

Is the issue the newer enhanced video? If so could i temporarily put in a different video card then later remove it?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

V/R

Steve

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Early in the year when I received one to try out, I installed Windows 7 onto a NUC7i7BNH (which has Core i7-7567U). It booted on Windows 7 - barely - but had lots of missing drivers and miserable performance (especially graphics). I installed enough to get the LAN working and then upgraded the O/S to Windows 10.

The graphics driver is the primary issue (only driver available is Windows 10 x64) - and, with NUCs, you are stuck with the embedded graphics - but I wouldn't be surprised if there are other issues.

All I can say is try it and see how far you can get. You'll definitely need - and want - an add-in graphics card.

...S

0 Kudos
RKora
Novice

Scott,

Thanks for the quick answer.

I think I'll give it a try installing Windows 7 first then quickly upgrade to Windows 10.

If that doesn't work then I'll have to buy Windows 10 for a fresh install :-<

I'll reply to this post if it works and what I had to do to make it work if it did.

V/R

Steve (LargeTarget)

PS - SKOL Vikings :->

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Don't forget that, if you want to upgrade this Windows 7 license to Windows 10 for free*, the deadline for doing so is Dec. 31st. The site where you start the upgrade process is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade Windows 10 Upgrade for Customers Using Assistive Technologies (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade).

This is for those of us who are, of course (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), using assistive technologies.

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Surely, the braintrust that created that loophole for w10 must realize how it is being used.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I presume that that is why it is being terminated on Dec. 31st.

I personally believe that Microsoft has been fully aware of this being a loophole from day 1 and perhaps even encouraged the (PC Magazine, HowToGeek.com, CNET, etc.) articles about this capability (still) being available.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Of course, in my case, having lost an eye, I can claim compliance without rosy cheeks

0 Kudos