1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2017 12:16 PM by Intel Corporation

ITK6 Customizations and Revision Control

MDV55

I've recently migrated to ITK6 and everything is working fine and learned a few things along the way.

The question that now comes to mind is how to document what I've done. Writing source code, I'd update my files, and check them in to Subversion for revision control, but I'm not quite sure how to do that with the customized NUC firmware that I've generated.

My current work flow is to

• Restore defaults with F9
      • Manually (keyboard and mouse) update the Visual BIOS settings via the GUI
      • Manually write down what I've changed vs the defaults - for example this snippet

Devices and Peripherals

- USB - USB Legacy - On(default) to off (Linux is USB Aware...)

- SATA - pre-delay - 0(default) to 5 (for splash screen - must be multiple of 5)

• Save changes, boot to UEFI shell
      • Run ITK with -ic (among other) options to save the customization in the new firmware .bio.

So the questions that are on my mind are:

• Is there a better way to document the customizations other then writing down a narrative of what I've clicked on?
      • Is there a way to script the configuration options similar to how SMBIOS parameters can be set (ITK6.efi –s –t system –f manufacturer –v myMan)?
      • Can the customization be loaded from a configuration file as an input to itk6? Just feed it an XML file...
      • Is there a mechanized way to extract the customization from a new bios -- something like "logical diff" between the AY0042.bio and myCustom.bio? I can infer the layout of the file with linux hexdiff -- it looks like the user customization are at the beginning of the file, but I don't want to try to reverse engineer each bit difference -- that would be unnecessarily time consuming.

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: ITK6 Customizations and Revision Control
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello MDV55,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Community. I will do my best in order to help with your ITK inquiry.

The first thing I would like to mentioned is that you are following the right steps in order to success with the customization. Now, regarding your questions I was unable to find a way to document or to script all the steps taken and configurations set, this needs to be done manually. The customization cannot be loaded from a configuration file, once you have the .bio file this can only be loaded onto other devices. And, to your last question there are no mechanized ways to extract the customization from a new bio, like mentioned before once you have created the .bio file this can only be loaded onto other devices.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.