3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 6:03 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Limited storage availability

Nikoz

Since Windows update & Bios firmware the 32gb emmc disk is full and I cannot reset it.,

(only 1.6,KB is available and the system requests around 5gb of free storage. I have installed an internal 1 tb hybrid disc which I cannot use for system and programme files...Please,advise.intel_admin

• 1. Re: Limited storage availability
          N.Scott.Pearson

Do two things:

1. Run the Windows Disk Cleanup applet and enable system file cleanup. Then, checkmark all categories so you maximize the cleanup.

2. In Setup, configure things so that all programs and updates are installed to the HDD instead of the eMMC. Uninstall all applications (especially games) and then reinstall them. This will result in them being stored on the HDD instead.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Limited storage availability
            Nikoz

Thank you for your answer but I have already tried this and cannot fall bellow 2 gb of available space. I will try to remove all programs leaving windows but from the size of them I do not think its going to release the required space of 5 gb to allow me to reset the system.I suppose even I you install programs and applications on drive D there are still items saved in the main system drive C. I hall probably have to migrate the system file from C to D.

• 3. Re: Limited storage availability
              N.Scott.Pearson

It you've tried it and you don't get to more than 2GB of available space, then you are not doing it properly. I have 5 different systems that have similar 32GB eMMCs and they are all sitting with better than 4 GB of free space.

Follow this procedure:

1. Invoke Disk Cleanup applet. Should see Drive Selection dialog and C: drive will be showing in selection box.
              2. Click on OK. Should see Calculating... dialog. Eventually multi-tabbed Disk Cleanup dialog should appear.
              3. Click on Clean up System Files. Should see Drive Selection dialog again.
              4. Click on OK. Should see Calculating dialog again. Eventually multi-tabbed Disk Cleanup dialog should appear again.
              5. Click on More Options tab. In System Restore and Shadow Copies section, click on Clean up... and, when Are you sure... dialog appears, click on Delete.
              6. When it is complete, click on Disk Cleanup tab.
              7. In Files to delete window, click on and enable (check-mark) each and every line item, regardless of amount of disk space it says you will gain.
              8. Click on OK. Applet will delete all files and then exit.
              9. Right-click on the Windows Start button and select Settings. When dialog appears, select System and then Storage and then click on Change where new content is saved.
              10. For each and every item type, select to have them saved to your data (typically D:) drive.
              11. Close everything and reboot.

As I said, if you have been installing applications right and left, you will also need to uninstall and then reinstall each and every one of them. Most will automatically reinstall to the data drive that you selected above. If they ask for storage location, however, make sure you point them to a location on the data drive (a subfolder under the WindowsApps folder (which was automatically created on this drive during step 10 above) would be a reasonable choice).

Ok, to address your other comment, yes, where possible, it sometimes makes sense to abandon the eMMC completely and convert the data drive into (also) being your system drive...

• On a NUC, this is easily done and you can modify the Boot Order so that the (former) data drive is where you boot from. I do not recommend that you do this by cloning the eMMC to the HDD/SSH/SSHD; it would be better to install Windows from scratch (it will automatically pick up Windows License Key from BIOS).
              • On Compute Sticks, however, this won't be possible. The only expansion is via flash storage (which offers no performance advantages) or USB HDD (which is not allowed to be used as the Windows System drive).

Hope this helps,

...S