9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 11:34 AM by Intel Corporation

Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver

JamesWyper

Hi

PC is running Windows 10 with the latest Fall Creators Update (1709).  I hadn't used Age of Empires III Asian Dynasties expansion on it for a few months, but when I did last night there was significant tearing and flickering on the game's menu screens (the video clip that preceded the game was fine).  No other applications have presented any problems recently.

Strangely enough both expansion packs (Asian Dynasties / War Chiefs) had disappeared from my start menu and Cortana search didn't find them.  The programs were still installed, I just had to go grubbing around in the Program Files (x86) folder to find them.  The original Age of Empires III game was still present.  I have no idea if this is related or not but thought I should mention it (I've never seen this happen before in 25 years of using Windows).

Checking in Device Manager my card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Driver provider Intel Corporation, Date 16/10/2017 and version 20.19.15.4835.

I rolled back my driver to an earlier version (sometime in late 2016) and everything was fine again.  So my immediate problem is fixed but there's clearly an issue with the latest version of the driver.  Is there any way I can provide more detailed diagnostic information to help get this resolved with the next driver update?

Thanks

James

• 1. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi JamesWyper,

I understand you have run Windows® updates to the latest Falls Creators and the latest graphics drivers version 4835 and the game Age of Empires 3 flickers after the updates.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, let me help you on this matter.

I would like to report this issue but I will need the following details to be filled out.
          Please go to this link https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761 and send the information as complete as possible.

Thank you for your time
          Allan J.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
            JamesWyper

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Screen shows flickering and tearing when Microsoft Age Of Empires III Asian Dynasties Expansion pack runs

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Zoostorm 7877-0431

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
            ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
            LFP
            = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
            EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP - AOC N20W

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
            ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

VGA cable

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

attached

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Home 1709 Build 16299.125

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

attached

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single display

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1680 x 1050 x 60 hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC (UK - 60hz)

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
            A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1.  Launch Age Of Empires III Asian Dynasties (latest version)

2.  Press Esc twice to skip intro videos

3.  Observe flicker on main menu

Intel HD4600 Driver issue 1 - YouTube

Intel HD4600 driver issue 2 - YouTube

• 3. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
              JamesWyper

Didn't have the option to add an attachment in my previous post but it's appeared now.  Let me know if you need anything else, in the meantime I'll roll the driver back again.

Thanks

James

• 4. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
                Intel Corporation

Hi JamesWyper,

Thank you for the report and the attachments. I appreciate it.

I am running a lab on this matter, as soon as I get more information I will update this post.

Thank you for your patience.
                Allan J.

• 5. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
                  Intel Corporation

Hi JamesWyper,

Thank you for your patience. I am still trying to replicate this issue. I will update this post soon.

Allan J.

• 6. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
                    Intel Corporation

Hello JamesWyper,

Thank you for your patience,

We were able to reproduce the environment that you are in and we have found no problems when it comes to run the game with the Integrated Graphics HD Graphics 4600. 

We tested the game with the following settings:

1. Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit 1709 Build 16299
                    2. Processor in the system: i7-4702HQ
                    3. RAM in the system: 16GB.
                    4. Graphics Driver: 20.19.15.4835
                    Now, the game that was tested was Age of Empires III, both the main game and the Asian Dynasties, "Steam" version. With the specifications mentioned above the game ran solid and no screen flickering or problems, solid frame rate as well. 

I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,
                    David V
                    • 7. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
                      Intel Corporation

Hello JamesWyper,

I am following-up with your case and I see that we have not heard back from you,

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Were you able to solve your issue?

Do not hesitate to reply to this e-mail for further help! 

Regards,
                      David V

• 8. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
                        JamesWyper

Hi

As I mentioned in my original post the only "solution" I have is to roll back to an earlier driver.

Since you haven't been able to reproduce my problem I'm not sure what further action is possible. I do note that you used a different model of CPU to mine, and my game was an original CD copy not a Steam download. To the best of my knowledge the Steam version and the CD release (with all subsequent updates applied) are identical, and I appreciate it may not be practical for you to obtain a CD copy.  However if you have the resources available to attempt to reproduce the issue on the same model CPU that I have that might show a difference...

Thanks

James

• 9. Re: Age of Empires 3 - flickering / tearing with latest HD4600 driver
                          Intel Corporation

Hi JamesWyper,

Thank you for the information, I am going to forward this information to the appropriate department but please bear in mind that even though the processor might not be the same model and the what really matters are the graphics controller and the graphics drivers version.

Regards,
                          Allan J.