This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation
Thanks for contacting Intel customer support.
We are glad to hear you are excited about our new product. To answer your questions:
1. Yes they work outdoors, but depending on the exposure to the light the capabilities of the camera might be reduced. This is not an outdoors camera.
2. As of right now there is no ROS for the D400, there is no information if there will be an ROS in the future.
3. There are several changes from the SR300 to the D400 series. For a technical comparison you will need to take a look at the datasheets for the D400 and the SR300. They can be found on the next links.
• D400 series datasheet: https://software.intel.com/en-us/realsense/d400/intel-realsense-depth-camera-d400-series-datasheet
• SR300 series datasheet: https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/intel_realsense_camera_sr300.pdf
Hope this helps to clarify your questions.
Regarding outdoor performance: you may be interested in the test video below of a 400 Series camera being used to scan a street from the viewpoint of a moving car.