5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 3:38 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i7BNHXG no win 10 boot after bios update

Tomagino

Hoping someone will give me some good idea how to solve issue I have with my new NUC7i7BNHXG, 32GB Optane plus 2TB HD.

So, after bios update to the newest version, windows 10 cannot load any more. I tried to recover with image that I made on external drive, but apparently I cannot recover this way cos there is no any account as administrator set it up. Then I tried windows reset, but it is stuck on 1%.

For me looks like there is something with Optane memory that is cosing this, but I am not sure what.

Settings in bios seems ok, as far I understand it.

Is there any way to recover my dearest NUC in working condition again?

• 1. Re: NUC7i7BNHXG no win 10 boot after bios update
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Tomagino,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Community. I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

Please check in your BIOS version for the following option: Chipset SATA mode RST with Optane Memory. Go to Advanced, Devices, SATA. Make sure is enabled, also make sure that remapping option is also enabled.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: NUC7i7BNHXG no win 10 boot after bios update
            Tomagino

Hello Amy,

Thank you for helping.

As you can see in attached picture, settings in BIOS are already the same as you suggest.

Update of situation from my side:

Today I tried System Reset several times (always stuck on 1% or 3% ...) and the last attempt was kind of successful, i.e. reset process reached 100%, but still no windows boot after that.

Then I tried again F8, Troubleshooting, System Image Restore and this time system image on my external drive was recognized.

But now it is asking for Windows installation disc (please see attached picture).

Now I am not quite sure what to do. Should I make installation USB disc (from Microsoft web pages) or there is some other way?

Also, if I don't manage to repair my existing windows installation and I have to reinstall new windows from beginning, what do you suggest to do with Optane memory? To keep it connected on motherboard during installation or to install it later? And how to set up bios settings in that case?

Do you know why this issue happened after I updated BIOS?

Thank you very much for helping me.

• 3. Re: NUC7i7BNHXG no win 10 boot after bios update
              Intel Corporation

Sure Tomagino, you're welcome. Thank you for the pictures.

Your BIOS configuration looks good. I am not sure what could have happened after the BIOS update, but it seems like it affected the Windows® 10 partition; therefore, the most effortless solution I can offer your is to replace the unit. Is possible that after all the steps are taken the unit still will not boot to the operating system, and to make it easier for you I recommend the replacement. So, if you would like to do so, contact us directly Contact Support and let them know about this conversation. 

Regards,

Amy C.

• 4. Re: NUC7i7BNHXG no win 10 boot after bios update
                Tomagino

Thank you Amy. I will do as you suggest to me.

• 5. Re: NUC7i7BNHXG no win 10 boot after bios update
                  Intel Corporation

Thanks to you. 

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.