Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

USB-C Display PnP not working with Lenovo Yoga 920 (Intel 620 graphics)

JLoos1
Novice

Hello,

Last month I bought a new Lenovo Yoga 920, which has an i7-8550U w/Intel 620 graphics and 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports. The laptop is advertised as supporting DisplayPort Alternative Modes over USB-C.

Like many other owners of this laptop (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ll06_en/thread-id/57774 Yoga 920 USB C to HDMI not working - Lenovo Community ), I've found that driving an external display over the UBS-C is very challenging. This creates real problems as this is a work machine for me and I need to be able to quickly change displays when meeting with clients, etc.

I've tried multiple adapters with external displays and, universally, I find that I an not able to make external displays work in a plug-n-play fashion. This is with the latest Lenovo provided bios & drivers, and Windows 10 home updates (fall creators).

I'm only able to successfully utilize external displays if I completely shut down the laptop. Unplug and plug-in the display adapter I want to use, make sure the external display is on, and then cold boot the machine. If I follow this scenario I'm able to consistently utilize various adapters for external displays. If I unplug the USB-C display adapter after successfully following this procedure, I'm not able to recover the display by plugging the adapter back in and need to reboot again from off in order to regain use of an external display. This is somewhat less than convenient and not what I would expect from a modern laptop. There are many individuals experiencing the same problem with this laptop. General consensus indicates there may be some model-specific driver issues creating this problem.

I wonder if anyone at Intel or in this forum can offer suggestions on what's happening to prevent external display recognition except at boot up and what resolution may entail as the issue has existed for several weeks with lots of discussion on Lenovo's forum with no resolution.

As described in the guidelines for Graphics questions here is further information about the issue and my specific device:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

USB-C display adapters do not initialize unless machine is booted from off. PnP for external display adapters does not work.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Yoga 920 (model 80Y7)

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-top: none; border-right: 1pt solid windowtext; border-bottom: 1pt ...
1 Solution
JLoos1
Novice
THIS IS RESOLVED

Lenovo acknowledged the USB-C software issue and released a USB-C firmware patch (to v55) this week.

I applied the firmware patch today (1/5/18) to my Yoga 920. I'm happy to report I am now successfully hot swapping with multiple display adapters.

The firmware patch is available via the System Update in Lenovo's Vantage app, which is downloadable from the Microsoft Store.

Here's a screen-shot of the system update / USB-C firmware update during install.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
JBran6
Beginner

Joined in to report the same issue. I'm 100% convinced that this is a driver issue. I have tested 4 different USB-C to HDMI adapters and all 4 have failed when trying to display out from either USB-C port on the Yoga 920. I have also tested all 4 adapters with my Samsung Galaxy S8+ and Microsoft Surface Book 2 and they perform flawlessly with simple plug-and-play activity. You should not have to have a "procedure" for a PnP display like we've seen on the 10 page thread on Lenovo's support site (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-920-USB-C-to-HDMI-not-working/m-p/3873892/highlight/true# M57774 Yoga 920 USB C to HDMI not working - Lenovo Community ). And even then, people are averaging less than a 50% success rate. As much as I'd LOVE to see Intel help us with this issue, the fact remains that Lenovo signs their driver packages and we're forced to use only what they offer. I can't just go to Intel's download center and grab the latest and greatest chipset driver or 620 UHD package. I can't even extract the package and try to shove the .INF file in manually. If I had known Lenovo wouldn't let me, the owner, attempt to better my situation, I wouldn't have purchased this Yoga 920. I'm just hoping by posting here that we can stir up enough dust to get Intel and Lenovo to work this out and give us the proper chipset or display driver to make USB-C with an external display work. In the meantime, I've been forced to spend 80 dollars on a USB 3.0 to HDMI external display adapter to get my Yoga 920 to output to a display or projector. It works 100% of the time (hooray), but it has overscan issues and just doesn't look proper to me. It's a temporary band-aid for now. So frustrating.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ScottInBoston,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, let me help you on this matter.

I understand you are using USB-C Display Port adapter and it does not detect monitor unless you power the computer off and on.

Thank you for the report, this makes this easier to replicate. Please allow me some time so I can try to replicate

this issue and I will update this post as soon as news become available.

Regards,

Allan J.

0 Kudos
AC16
Novice

Allan, glad you've picked up the ball. When can we expect a solution? I have until 1/15/18 to return this device without penalty. It goes back if this issue isn't fixed.

0 Kudos
RMadd
Beginner

I have the same issue with Yoga 920. Tried 3 adopters so far. Lenovo C107, BestBuy Indignia, TrendNet. None are working.

With TrendNet TUC-HDMI2, it sensed the external display for 1 sec. After about a second, no more display on the monitor or projector.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same issue being reported here.

Thanks to ScotinBoston for reporting with all the details.

Hope me there will be some fix soon. Lenovo had been completly useless when I contacted them.

0 Kudos
Gfis
Beginner

Same issue here - Yoga 920-131KB, model 80Y7, Intel 620 graphics (v23.20.16.4849 - 10/27/2017), i7 gen 8 processor, 16gb ram, 1tb disk.

Cannot display on any TV or computer monitor using any of 3 USB-C to HDMI connectors includinghttps://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/cables-and-adapters/adapters/CABLE-BO-USB-C-to-HDMI-Adapter-NA/p/GX90M44577 Lenovo's USB-C to HDMI Adapter.

Occasionally I am able to get a display lit but only if I shut down the laptop, connect all cables, turn on the display and then power up the laptop.

0 Kudos
JStyl
Beginner

Same issue. YOGA 92013IKB with configuration as follows:

USB-C to HDMI and USB-C to VGA adaptors don't work - the system never recognizes that a monitor is there. In the case of the VGA adaptor, if plugged in without being connected to a VGA monitor, the laptop recognizes it as a generic USB device. If plugged in while connected, it doesn't seem to be recognized. Sounds like some level of device driver is silently failing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience.

I was able to do a lab these days and I successfully got image using single and dual monitor configuration with the following video adapter: http://www.cablematters.com/pc-833-26-usb-c-thunderbolt-3-port-compatible-to-4k-60hz-hdmi-adapter.aspx http://www.cablematters.com/pc-833-26-usb-c-thunderbolt-3-port-compatible-to-4k-60hz-hdmi-adapter.aspx

My demo configuration

NUC7i3BNH

Intel® HD graphics 620

Windows® 10 64 bit

Falls Creators Update

Graphics drivers version 4877

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27355/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=96551 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27355/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=96551

I did not test USB-C to VGA adapter because this may cause a problem when converting Digital to Analog signal. The problem you may have is either the computer or the video adapter.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
JLoos1
Novice

Thanks for running a test bench check.

Unfortunately this doesn't resolve the problem we're facing specifically with the Lenovo Yoga 920.

I followed the process described in the following post to manually update my 620 drivers on my Yoga 920 to the same version used in the test bench check. (.4877):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and...

I was able to successfully install the v.4877 driver on the Yoga.

However, this produced no change in behavior with the adapters I have access to. It remains necessary to plug-in an adapter and monitor while the machine is off and then cold-boot in order for the external adapter with monitor to be recognized and activated. Attempting to use an adapter with PnP after the machine has booted continues to fail in every case.

0 Kudos
AWIls9
Beginner

Same issue with the USB C to HDMI. It was working flawlessly for well over a month. As of yesterday, I cannot get it to work. When plugging in the USB C cable, I hear an audible noise from the machine signifying it registers there is a new device connected but it cannot detect the monitor. I have also tried several cables/adapters/monitors and updated drivers.

The bench test is also appreciated but probably not applicable. This obviously works on some percentage of machines as it was working well on mine until yesterday. The only recent change is the installation of the fall creators addition of windows 10 (they need a shorter name!) on Monday. The displays were still working until yesterday (Wednesday) so I assume that is not the issue.

0 Kudos
AC16
Novice

Allan, is there any reason to believe this will work with the Yoga 920?

0 Kudos
AC16
Novice

I'm having the exact same issue with a two-day-old Yoga 920, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD (which I bought specifically for the dual Thunderbolt 3 ports). Only difference is that I'm attempting to drive a Dell 2715Q 4K display with a USB-C (Thunderbolt 3, supposedly) to DisplayPort cable. No matter what approach I tried, no joy, UNTIL I tried the sequence described by the OP. To my amazement, it worked. First time I'd seen this thing drive my external display, after hours of trying, which it did at 4K, 60Hz. THANK YOU for putting me out of my misery with at least a temporary fix (may I buy you a coffee?! ). NOW it's time for Intel and/or Lenovo to actually FIX the root issue. When??

0 Kudos
AC16
Novice

Gentlemen and ladies, I just received this device today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018AX3HJO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon.com: Club 3D CAC-1507, USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter(15cm/0.49ft) for 2016 MacBook Pro, MacBook Retina 2015 / 2016…

It works...

I used it with this DisplayPort 1.2 cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098HVZBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon.com: Accell DisplayPort 1.2 Cable with Locking Latches - 6.6 Feet (2 Meters), DP 1.2 supports 4K UHD, 1080p, and …

I have been able to plug and unplug the USB-C end of the cable and the 920 recognizes my Dell 2715Q 4K display at 60Hz, no problem. I have also been able to go into and out of Sleep mode with the same success. I was also able to switch USB-C ports on the 920 on the fly and the external monitor fired right up.

Bottom line, from my, admittedly limited, use (about 15 minutes, literally), this adapter and this DP cable make the 920 Thunderbolt ports behave exactly as I would have expected the laptop to work out of the box.

YMMV, of course, but there appears to be hope. Now if Intel and/or Lenovo can get all the other cables, etc. to work life would be happy indeed.

Merry Christmas to all!

RSama3
Beginner

Similar to peloton I eventually bought an "USB-C to Display Port" adapter. Additionally, I bought a "Display Port" cable. Luckily my external screen (as most nowadays) has HDMI, VGA and DP.

Whilst HDMI does not work as described in this thread, DP did work.

This is a temporary solution for me. I have an HDMI switch that connects different devices to the same external screen and everything is running on HDMI. I also paid quite a bit for a multi-function USB-C switch that is presently not usable (originally I planned to connect some devices to it including the HDMI cable).

And I had to pay again extra $$ to buy the new adapter and cable. I have spent about 5% of the total cost of the laptop on top for adapters. Slightly upsetting. Hopefully, as it seems, this is a driver issue and will be fixed early 2018!

Happy New Year everybody.

0 Kudos
AWIls9
Beginner

A quick update. I finally rolled back windows. (I like having the latest versions so this was the last resort) it now works. I can connect to external monitors and extend the desktop. I am now running Windows 10 home Version 1703 build 15063.786

0 Kudos
AC16
Novice

Further information.

This USB-C to DisplayPort cable works (without an adapter - I'm not using HDMI, in case you haven't noticed):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXKDRAC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon.com: Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable (6'/1.8m) for 2016/2017 MacBook Pro, MacBook 12" 2015/2016, Surf…

Also, this "docking station" (actually a port replicator, but who's counting?) works great (yep, it's expensive):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M1XHCK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon.com: Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station with 60W Charging for MacBook Pro Late 2016/2017 & Specific Windows L…

Been wearing a path between Amazon and my residence. Woof...

- peloton

0 Kudos
JLoos1
Novice
THIS IS RESOLVED

Lenovo acknowledged the USB-C software issue and released a USB-C firmware patch (to v55) this week.

I applied the firmware patch today (1/5/18) to my Yoga 920. I'm happy to report I am now successfully hot swapping with multiple display adapters.

The firmware patch is available via the System Update in Lenovo's Vantage app, which is downloadable from the Microsoft Store.

Here's a screen-shot of the system update / USB-C firmware update during install.

victorbeysmith
Beginner

Three years without being able to connect to an external display, and the v55 firmware update changed it all. THANK YOU. (make sure you're running on AC power when updating)

0 Kudos
RSama3
Beginner

I just did this firmware patch. Subsequently, I still cannot connect an HDMI cable to the laptop.

It shows the same error that the USB device is not recognized. And the external screen remains black.

(Luckily - as written earlier, the Display Port solution worked, but that is not satisfactory).

Any other ideas are welcomed. Maybe, it is just my specific "USB-C to HDMI adapter". But after spending

almost another $100 to buy a DP cable and "USB-C to DP adapter" I am not too keen to buy another HDMI

adapter to test. The one I bought was a highly recommended one and rather expensive. It works well on

my friend's MacBook...

0 Kudos