1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2018 2:32 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console

HUNEMA

Hi,

Isn’t correct that Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console only running on a Windows OS English language.

I found out that the tool is not running on a Windows OS Dutch language, change to English no problem

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional English

Intel SA-00075 Detection Tool gui/console is working on Windows OS Dutch language but it create not correct registry entry's

So SA-00086 Detection Tool is not MUI, correct?

Sorry for my poor English writing

Maarten

• 1. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® communities. We are sorry tom hear the tool is not working properly.

In this case we will do further research to confirm if the tool was designed to work with English language only or if it supports more languages, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
            HUNEMA

f.y.i

created by tlaguz in Intel® vPro™ Expert Center - View the full discussion

I think, I have found error. In method DiscoveryTool.FileExtractor.Extract(string directoryName, bool localization) you assume that Administrators' group name is "Administrators". For example in polish it is: "Administratorzy" so the group doesn't exist and System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException is raised. Group SID is constant so it should have been used: S-1-5-32-544

• 3. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
              Intel Corporation

Hunema,  

Can you provide some additional details on the incorrect registry entries?  What entries are being created on your Dutch system?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                HUNEMA

Hi,

nothing is created in the registry on a Dutch system

The picture below is on a English system.

• 5. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                  Intel Corporation

Thanks.  I'll report the registry issue to engineering.

• 6. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                    haeusermannanna

Hello Intel

When I wanted to run the Tool today on a German Windows 10 Home HP Notebook I could not run the Tool because apparently It only runs On PCs And Notebooks With the English Language installed.

English Is not the only Language in the World. Please also provide Support for Languages other than English. when I think of my Friends and Family at least 3 Systems of not more are NOT in English but In GERMAN.

Please resolve this problem. I am angry anyway because of this Security Risk. SO I have no Patience left. And my Acer Aspire is only fixed because Acer did not hang around with providing an update and a solution. The other system I have Is a Ryzen System 1700X. So one worry less for me.

As to the other Intel G530 2.4 GHZ system the  detection tool was not clear. May be Vulnerable? WTF!!! It is either Yes or No. and if the customer is stupid a proper Error message has to be displayed. Such as: Please run Program as Administrator. For example.

I have to insist on an answer since i already asked twice for a response but got no answer.

Kathrin Hausermann

• 7. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                      HUNEMA

Hi,

Can you also report  that the reporting of the tool is the a issue to engineering.

thks Maarten

• 8. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Kathrin,

We are working on the problem with some non-english systems.  The problem does not happen on all non-english systems, only a subset.  We hope to have a fix tested and ready for release within the next week.

The 'may be vulnerable' message is displayed when the tool is unable to determine the version of the ME firmware installed on a system.  A better message might be 'unable to determine firmware version, this system may be vulnerable'.  I will suggest that to our engineers.

You should be able to resolve the 'may be vulnerable' situation by installing the ME driver from your system manufacturer.  If you let me know the exact model of your system or motherboard I may be able to help identify where to obtain the correct driver.

• 9. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                          haeusermannanna

Hello Intel Corporation  (sorry I do not have another name)

Thank you very much for your answers to my questions and problems. The Language  Error occurred on a HP Laptop with a german Windows 10 Home nstalled. I hope the fix is available very soon. Please send me a link for the download once the improved version gets released. I also have to check a Sony Laptop with a Spanish Windows 10 version for this vulnerability. As of now I have not seen the Sony Notebook yet, there are also some DELL Notebooks with a German Windows 10 I could not yet check since I have to connect remotely to those.

The 'may be vulnerable' message occurred on my Asus P8H61-M LX PLUS System board. Paired with it is an Intel G530 2.4GHZ, it is a very old system but still working. I tried to find the  the ME Driver but I failed miserably. Instead I found a CPU testing Tool on the Intel Site for the Processor . All my computers I build on my own (except Notebooks of course) and I take pride in building and maintaining my PC Systems by myself. I am the ADMIN.

My Acer Notebook is thank god already updated and patched, Thanks to the quick and decisive actions of Acer. they also answered me very quickly in their support forum. My Ryzen System is not affected. and I am glad . 2 PC 's less I have to worry about

I hope to hear from you very soon

haeusermannanna

• 10. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                            Intel Corporation

Hi Kathrin,

I checked ASUS's website and the only download that I can see that might contain the ME driver is the Chipset driver.  Please install the chipset driver for the OS you are running and then try running the tool again.

FYI, since the ASUS system does not support Intel Active Management Technology someone would need physical access to the system to exploit the issues identified in SA-00086.

• 11. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                              Intel Corporation

Hi all,

A new version of the SA-00086 Detection Tool is available.  It has a fix for the issue with some non-english systems.

You can download the latest version from https://downloadcenter-origin.intel.com/download/27150?v=t

Please let us know if this new version does not solve problems you are having.

• 12. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                                haeusermannanna

Hello  Intel Corporation

I tested the newly released version today on the Windows 10 Pro Spanish SONY Notebook. It worked like a charm. Next up will be the Windows 10 Home German HP of my friend. lf you like I can let you know if it worked or if an error occurred.

• 13. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                                  haeusermannanna

So today I tried to run the Sa00086 Tool again on the old ASUS Machine. As told I updated the Chipset driver. The First version is no Problem at all and installed successfully. But the newest Version does not install at all. So the SA 00086 Tool is still telling me it can't detect the MEI Driver.

this is the latest update on my side.

• 14. Re: Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool gui/console
                                    ken-Intel

Haeusermannanna,

Just to be clear, you are saying that the latest version of the SA-00086 detection tool won't install on your system?

1 2 Previous Next