6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2017 6:22 PM by cvare

NUC6CAYH screen goes black every few minutes

RoboEgg
      CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
      DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue
      Screen goes black for a couple of seconds every 1 to 5 minutes.

Always (100%):

Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system.nuc6cays
      Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?
      N/A
      Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)
      HP W1907v
      How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).8GB (2x4GB) Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB DDR3 PC3L-12800S-11-12-B4
      Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc
      Toshiba  HDD MQO1ABF050
      Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).
      Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below).Windows 10
      VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.
      Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"23.20.16.4849"
      SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.windows 10
      ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).Single VGA display
      Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).1440x900 59Hz
      AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?AC
      How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.
      1. Power on Intel NUC
      Note1:
      1. Go to “Device Manager”. Double click on “Display adapters”, right click on “Intel(R) HD Graphics…” and select “Properties”, select “Details” tab, select “Hardware Ids” in Property drop-down box.  Capture this info (save as screenshot) and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum posting.
      NOTE2:      Please follow these instructions below to collect info for the 3 areas. This greatly helps engineering with replicating the issue and investigating and is a requirement from them.
      Intel SSU (System Support Utility): (Note - This is a new Intel tool that will eventually incorporate gathering all the data needed in one click. Targeting end of year to be fully featured. Until then, please provide the DxDiag and DispDiag as well)Download Intel® System Support Utility
      1. Download the utility
      2. Run the exe and select 'Scan'
      3. Save and include as an attachment int he Intel Community Forum
      DxDiag Instructions:
      1. Click on the “Start Menu” -> Type “DxDiag” -> Press “Enter” -> Wait for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to finish loading
      2. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click “Save All Information” -> Save the file DxDiag.txt
      3. Include DxDiag.txt as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum
      DispDiag Instructions:
      1. Click on the “Start Menu” -> Type “cmd” -> Then a command shell window will open
      2. In the command shell, type “dispdiag -out %homepath%\Desktop\DispDiag-Intel-Issue.dat” -> The command shell will output something similar to “Dump File: C:\Users\[username]\DispDiag-########-######-#####-#####.dat”
      3. Locate the .dat file on your desktop and include DispDiag-Intel-Issue.dat in the Intel Community Forum
      -- This post ends here --

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH screen goes black every few minutes
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello RoboEgg,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you are having problems with your Nuc unit since it turns off the screen after a few minutes of use, I apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing.

Regarding the issue, we can try a few steps to try and solve the problem.

1) Check the BIOS version, make sure that it is the 0042 which is the latest:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95062/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6CAYH

2) For testing purposes try a different refresh rate, 30Hz would be OK. 
          3) For testing purposes try a different connection, for example HDMI, also if possible try a different display (Monitor, TV, etc.)
          4) For testing purposes please try a different cable when connecting the unit. 

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards, 
          David V

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH screen goes black every few minutes
            RoboEgg

Thank you for your reply.

1) I have checked the releade notes for BIOS 42 and there is no mention of a fix for the black screen problems that are affecting large numbers of J3455 NUCs.

2) A refresh rate of 30Hz is no selectable.

3) I have tried connecting to my TV with HDMI. This works with no black screens. My computer moniter only has a VGA input so HDMI/DVI is not on option.

4) Tried other cables no difference.

Sorry David I don't find you reply of any help.

After seening many other J3455 NUC owners on your communities with exactly the same problem and hearing that a busness user found 20+ out of 120+

J3455 NUCs exibiting the black screen problem  I realise this is infact a hardware problem affecting large numbers of NUCs. Working at Intel you must be aware of this?

I'm sending my NUC back for a replacement. I hope to get a good one mext time.

Kind Regards

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH screen goes black every few minutes
              RoboEgg

Stop press:

Latest advice from newuser17 is that updating to BIOS 41 solved all his black screen problems. So the latest BIOS may fix the problem - even though there is no mention of this in the release notes. I will give BIOS 42 a go. I will report back with the result.

BTW my NUC currently has BIOS 38.

Kind Regards

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH screen goes black every few minutes
                RoboEgg

So far results look good with BIOS 42 only one black screen in about an hour. This is a big improvement over BIOS 38. Will keep you posted.

Kind Regards

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH screen goes black every few minutes
                  RoboEgg

Ok after a few days testing I'm now seeing black screen for a couple of seconds about every hour on VGA port with BIOS 42. this is a big improvement over BIOS 38 however it is still quite annoying.

To avoid the hassle of returning the NUC for a working one I've bought a second hand HDMI monitor. No black screens with HDMI .

Now just waiting for Intel to sort out the UBS 3 speed problem.

Regards

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYH screen goes black every few minutes
                    cvare

Hi all,

We have found a solution to the graphics flashing issue and the BIOS can be downloaded from here: Download BIOS Update [AYAPLCEL.86A]