This content has been marked as final. Show 6 replies
This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation
Thank you for contacting Intel Support,
I understand that you are having problems with your Nuc unit since it turns off the screen after a few minutes of use, I apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing.
Regarding the issue, we can try a few steps to try and solve the problem.
1) Check the BIOS version, make sure that it is the 0042 which is the latest:
2) For testing purposes try a different refresh rate, 30Hz would be OK.
3) For testing purposes try a different connection, for example HDMI, also if possible try a different display (Monitor, TV, etc.)
4) For testing purposes please try a different cable when connecting the unit.
I hope you find this helpful.
Thank you for your reply.
1) I have checked the releade notes for BIOS 42 and there is no mention of a fix for the black screen problems that are affecting large numbers of J3455 NUCs.
2) A refresh rate of 30Hz is no selectable.
3) I have tried connecting to my TV with HDMI. This works with no black screens. My computer moniter only has a VGA input so HDMI/DVI is not on option.
4) Tried other cables no difference.
Sorry David I don't find you reply of any help.
After seening many other J3455 NUC owners on your communities with exactly the same problem and hearing that a busness user found 20+ out of 120+
J3455 NUCs exibiting the black screen problem I realise this is infact a hardware problem affecting large numbers of NUCs. Working at Intel you must be aware of this?
I'm sending my NUC back for a replacement. I hope to get a good one mext time.
Latest advice from newuser17 is that updating to BIOS 41 solved all his black screen problems. So the latest BIOS may fix the problem - even though there is no mention of this in the release notes. I will give BIOS 42 a go. I will report back with the result.
BTW my NUC currently has BIOS 38.
Ok after a few days testing I'm now seeing black screen for a couple of seconds about every hour on VGA port with BIOS 42. this is a big improvement over BIOS 38 however it is still quite annoying.
To avoid the hassle of returning the NUC for a working one I've bought a second hand HDMI monitor. No black screens with HDMI .
Now just waiting for Intel to sort out the UBS 3 speed problem.