7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 1:23 PM by rguevara

Intel nuc available USB endpoints

Mamaun

Hello,

We need to connect 200 usb cameras to a computer and we are wondering how many available usb enpoinds the nuc family have.

We know that is very difficult (if not impossible) to connect 200 usb devices with long cables to a single computer so we are thinking of an array of nucs connected to the cameras and a laptop to controll them all.

If the number of available usb enpoints on the nuc is low, we could considerate to use mini itx computers with a pcie usb hub or even an array of laptops.

Can you help me with the hardware?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Intel nuc available USB endpoints
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

In order to deliver the most accurate response, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: Intel nuc available USB endpoints
            Intel Corporation

: I just received an update on this matter, most NUC USB only supports 128 end points and/or up to 64 devices. Each USB device can have up to 16 end points so worst case scenario, if each camera has 16 endpoints we would only support 16 devices. All NUC’s power limitations follow USB guide lines. For USB 3.0 we support 900mA current draw, USB charging is 1.5A, USB type C is 3A, and TBT is 15A.

Also, on the following web page you will be able to see additional details describing existing Digital Security and Surveillance solutions: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-video-surveillance.html  

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto R

• 3. Re: Intel nuc available USB endpoints
              Mamaun

Thank you Alberto,

A couple of wuestions:

- Where can we find information abour what NUCS support 128 endpoints?

- Do the lower end NUC6CAYH Celeron supports these "128 end points and/or up to 64 devices"?

And, can we speak in spanish in this thread?

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Intel nuc available USB endpoints
                Intel Corporation

: You are welcome. We will do further research to try to provide the details you are requesting, as soon as I get any information I will post it on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: Intel nuc available USB endpoints
                  rguevara

Hi :

The information about USB endpoint support on NUC is not publicly available, NUC USB only supports 128 end points and/or up to 64 devices.

Each USB device can have up to 16 end points so worst case if each camera has 16 endpoints we would only support 16 devices.

NUC power limitations follow USB guidelines. For USB 3.0 we support 900mA current draw, USB charging is 1.5A, USB type C is 3A, and TBT is 15A.

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

• 6. Re: Intel nuc available USB endpoints
                    Mamaun

Thanks for the response.

Alberto wrote the endopint/device limit. but what i don't know if this 128 endpoint its for the top end i7 nucs or the lower end Celeron has the same (or lower) device limits.

• 7. Re: Intel nuc available USB endpoints
                      rguevara

Hi :

Most of the internal documentation I have access to, make reference to either 96 or 128 endpoints for all the Processors.

The documentation doesnt really make any distinction among different Processor families (nothing specific for Celeron). I would say that it would be either 48 or 64 devices max.

Regards,

Ronny G