Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4750 Discussions

s1200sps + supermicro sc825tq-r720lpb tracking power failures

mpetr8
Beginner

intel s1200sps mainboard has the i2c ( SSI compliant 1x5 pin connector J9F1 to provide I2C monitoring of the power supply. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/S1200SP_TPS_R1_1_S1200SPL_S1200SPS_S1200SPO.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/S1200SP_TPS_R1_1_S1200SPL_S1200SPS_S1200SPO.pdf) connector to track failures from psu on intel's own supported cases.

Has anyone managed to get supermicro's PDU (for example PWS-721P-1R) information of power failures?

When I test to plug out power cable I get OK readings from intel's bmc:

Name Status Health Reading Pwr Unit StatusAll deassertedOK0x0000

Br, Max

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello maxpetrov,

Thank you for contacting Intel, we have received your inquiry and here are our comments.

First of all I need to mention that S1200SPS board is in an En Of Life stage which means is no longer being manufactured, and close to end of support.

With that said, in an intel system this feature will provide real time information about the PSU(s) (Power Supply Unit) present in the chassis, such as:

0 PS1 Status 80 32 PRESENCE_DETECTED

0 PS2 Status 81 32 PRESENCE_DETECTED

0 PS1 Input Power 84 32 Watts 168.000000

0 PS2 Input Power 85 32 Watts 7.000000

0 PS1 Curr Out % 88 32 % 13.000000

0 PS2 Curr Out % 89 32 % 0.000000

0 PS1 Temperature 92 32 Degrees Celsius 29.000000

Or health logs like:

2 09/09/2017-08:25:05 Power Unit, Pwr Unit Status (# 0x1) Informational event: Pwr Unit Status reports the power unit is powered off or being powered down. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

3 09/09/2017-08:25:10 Power Unit, Pwr Unit Status (# 0x1) Informational event: Pwr Unit Status reports the power unit is powered on or being powered up.

However, this feature will not display information about attached PDUs (Power Distribution Unit) as mentioned in your description, in the other hand validated validated hardware normally support this capability, in other scenarios is possible that will only display critical information or none at all, in his specific scenario I do not see supermicro validated devices for this board which means either no testing has been done on those devices or they do not fully support all of the board features. I am attaching a validated hardware list in case you want to check it. in the screenshot provided the information displayed refers to the actual Power Supply in the chassis, showing its current status.

Also is worth Mention if your goal is to make your server comunicate with your PDU/UPS, Intel® Server Boards and Intel® Server Systems support management through Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) or Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI). Check your UPS documentation for support for these protocols. (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008023/server-products.html USB Cabling not supported), My recommendation here would be to try using validated hardware that is known to support this capabilities

If you have any further question or in the other hand this answers your question please let me know in order to proceed accordingly.

I'll stay tuned to your comments.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello maxpetrov,

Thank you for contacting Intel, we have received your inquiry and here are our comments.

First of all I need to mention that S1200SPS board is in an En Of Life stage which means is no longer being manufactured, and close to end of support.

With that said, in an intel system this feature will provide real time information about the PSU(s) (Power Supply Unit) present in the chassis, such as:

0 PS1 Status 80 32 PRESENCE_DETECTED

0 PS2 Status 81 32 PRESENCE_DETECTED

0 PS1 Input Power 84 32 Watts 168.000000

0 PS2 Input Power 85 32 Watts 7.000000

0 PS1 Curr Out % 88 32 % 13.000000

0 PS2 Curr Out % 89 32 % 0.000000

0 PS1 Temperature 92 32 Degrees Celsius 29.000000

Or health logs like:

2 09/09/2017-08:25:05 Power Unit, Pwr Unit Status (# 0x1) Informational event: Pwr Unit Status reports the power unit is powered off or being powered down. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

3 09/09/2017-08:25:10 Power Unit, Pwr Unit Status (# 0x1) Informational event: Pwr Unit Status reports the power unit is powered on or being powered up.

However, this feature will not display information about attached PDUs (Power Distribution Unit) as mentioned in your description, in the other hand validated validated hardware normally support this capability, in other scenarios is possible that will only display critical information or none at all, in his specific scenario I do not see supermicro validated devices for this board which means either no testing has been done on those devices or they do not fully support all of the board features. I am attaching a validated hardware list in case you want to check it. in the screenshot provided the information displayed refers to the actual Power Supply in the chassis, showing its current status.

Also is worth Mention if your goal is to make your server comunicate with your PDU/UPS, Intel® Server Boards and Intel® Server Systems support management through Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) or Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI). Check your UPS documentation for support for these protocols. (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008023/server-products.html USB Cabling not supported), My recommendation here would be to try using validated hardware that is known to support this capabilities

If you have any further question or in the other hand this answers your question please let me know in order to proceed accordingly.

I'll stay tuned to your comments.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support

mpetr8
Beginner

Thanks. Simply to rephrase: sc825tq-r720lpb cases' PDU(PWS-721P-1R) is not supported by s1200sps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maxpetrov,

This two parts have not been validaded by Intel, we can not guarantee that they will work.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maxpetrov,

I will like to follow UP on your original question or see If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DatacenterNext,

Because we haven't heard from you I will close the forum. If you need any additional help on this same matter we can reopen the ticket or we can create a new one.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos