4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2018 1:08 PM by Intel Corporation

Disable Management Engine

TrevorXml

How can I disable the Intel Management Engine?  You've supplied a utility that tells me my PC has a security risk but does not give a solution. The supplier of the motherboard has no fix until late January.

I need to remove the firmware that has compromised my system immediately. I have no reason to run a computer that can connect to a network below the OS in fact I would never agree to such a stupid idea. You have implemented a system that is inherently flawed. You've introduced a backdoor and now lost the keys. I should have known something was wrong at Intel when my PC needed a network card before the Intel compiler would run.

• 1. Re: Disable Management Engine
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello TrevorXml,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support, 

I can see that you are having problems with the Management Engine, I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Now, regarding this problem Intel has already reached out to the different third-party computer builders and the motherboard manufacturers. 

We have this tool that may help you find if you are at risk and will help you with the mitigation: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27150

If this does not help then please refer to the motherboard manufacturer since they may have a way to disable it using the BIOS. 

I hope this information is is helpful. 

Regards, 
          David V

• 2. Re: Disable Management Engine
            Intel Corporation

Hello TrevorXml

I am following-up with your case and I see that we have not heard back from you,

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Were you able to solve your issue?

Do not hesitate to reply to this for further help! 

Regards,
            David V

• 3. Re: Disable Management Engine
              maxha

I would like to disable the management engine as well.

In your previous reply you only shared the link to the detection tool but no solution to actually disable the M.E.

Does Intel have plans to remove it from future CPUs (or at least give its customers an easy option to disable it)?

Best regards

Max

• 4. Re: Disable Management Engine
                Intel Corporation

Hello TrevorXml

Thank you for your response,

I definitely understand your position, however the mitigation tool is what we have to deal with the Management Engine.

When it comes to disabling it, if the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer decided to implement a way to disable it using the BIOS then the best option is to contact either one of them for assistance and guidance on how to disable it.

I apologize for any inconveniences.

Regards,
                David V