Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Need clarification on Processor

idata
Employee

Hi,

I want to knwo which processr is best one for Laptop.

1. Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor (2.26Ghz, 4 Threads, 3M cache)

2 .Intel® Core™ i3-330M (2.13Ghz, 4Threads, 3M cache)

3. Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.20GHz/ 800 FSB/ 2MB Cache)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

I suppose it depends on whether you need speed, or low cost; doesn't it? What are your purchasing parameters?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Cost does matter.. i am planning to buy Dell™ Inspiron 15 New Laptop (S541206IN8). That s wat i asked..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have not used either, however:

1. The i3-330M should be faster than the T6600.

2. The i3-330M + chipset compared with the T6600 + chipset should draw less power and have longer battery life.

3. The Intel video of the i3 series is more capable than the corresponding Intel video of the mobile Core 2 Duo series. However, if the Dell laptop uses a fast Nvidia or ATI video chip then the capabilities of the Intel video won't matter.

4. The greater speed of the i3-350M compared with the i3-330M is probably too small to be perceived.

5. If I were buying a laptop I'd choose the i5-520 series because it has the AES-NI instructions in hardware for cryptographic processing. With this processor I could use Microsoft BitLocker full disk encryption for data security and the performance impact would be minimized. The i3 series doesn't have the AES-NI instruction set. Using full disk encryption makes access to the laptop data very difficult if the laptop is stolen.

Usual Disclaimers:

1. Check the above information yourself.

2. I'm not an Intel or Microsoft employee.

Michael

0 Kudos