Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Using a Polaroid filter with SR300

RMadh2
Beginner

I am currently using a RealSense SR300, and under some lighting conditions there are quite a few reflections of surfaces which mess up my object detection algorithms. I've been told using a Polaroid filter would help with this, but I do not know what kind of polaroid to use or whether it will cause problems with the IR depth data. Any suggestions on this would be super helpful.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Rakshith,

Thanks for contacting Intel customer support.

Intel does not have any official guideline on how to do this. It would be recommended to contact Polaroid and ask them if they have any special filter. It cannot be any filter given the fact that it can interfere with the IR projection.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You can reduce reflections on objects you are scanning by using a fine spray-on powder such as baby powder or foot powder, or a professional spray-on liquid designed for 3D scanning that dampens reflectivity.

To see such a spray product, please copy and paste the link below into a browser window.

www.laserdesign.com/3d-scan-spray/

0 Kudos
RMadh2
Beginner

That is interesting, thank you. But do you have any idea if it can be used on vegetation, such as leaves or cotton without damaging them?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I would imagine that baby powder probably has the least reactive formula, since it is applied to baby skin. If it doesn't harm that, it probably will not harm vegetation either.

0 Kudos