7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2017 10:44 AM by lw1948

NUC6CAYH stopped booting after upgrading BIOS to v42

vmotor

Hi!

Another problem with my NUC6CAYH. After upgrading BIOS to v42, PC stopped booting. Recovery procedures for bios are not available. I tried to use both power button menu and security jumper methods. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH stopped booting after upgrading BIOS to v42
          N.Scott.Pearson

Try disconnecting the CMOS battery for 15 minutes. It is plugged into the CPU side of the board, so you will have to lift it out of the chassis to do this (hint: two screws hold it down)...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH stopped booting after upgrading BIOS to v42
            vmotor

Thanks, but I'm afraid I need more detailed instructions for disassembling. юI unscrewed the two screws, but the board is not removed.

DSC_1039.JPG

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH stopped booting after upgrading BIOS to v42
              N.Scott.Pearson

Oh bother, to do this you may have to disconnect and later reconnect a whole lot of cables. Let's try another way. The top lid is removable. See if, after removing it, you can access the battery...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH stopped booting after upgrading BIOS to v42
                lw1948

If the bios recovery doesn't work try to recover your bios from the Configuration Menu follow this steps:

1. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom cover from your NUC.

2. Remove the yellow security jumper and close the bottom cover.

3. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC (without USB stick inserted). Wait 30 sec - 2min. If the memory, cable and monitor are working you shall see the Configuration Menu - similar to the attached image.

4. After you see this menu, insert and USB stick (prepared before) with the latest bios file - AY0042.bio

5. Press F4 and the bios recovery will start after some time and will end after 2 -5 minutes.

6. When bios recovery completed, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper.

You should fully reformat your USB to FAT32 (full format rather than quick format). You can reformat your USB in Windows or using SD Formatter tool: SD Memory Card Formatter for Windows Download - SD Association

And important - use full format (it takes long time).

Leon

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH stopped booting after upgrading BIOS to v42
                  vmotor

Hi, Leon!
                  I tried to restore the BIOS as you said.
                  I removed the jumper, connected the monitor, the power adapter, turned on NUC, but nothing happened. I waited 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, but configuration menu did not appear, the monitor remains in stand-by state. Maybe it matters that in the BIOS the fast boot mode was set?
                  In any case, thanks for the help.

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYH stopped booting after upgrading BIOS to v42
                    vmotor

The top lid was removed, 4 screws were unscrewed but this did not help. Still, nothing is removed, the battery is not available. Thank you for help, maybe there are more thoughts?

DSC_1042sm.jpg

• 7. Re: NUC6CAYH stopped booting after upgrading BIOS to v42
                      lw1948

Sorry that you didn't get to the Configuration Menu.  No, fact that your NUC is set to Fast Boot mode is not disturbing to see this menu. For now, I have not  other advice to you, rather to ask from Support Service an RMA and replace your NUC.

In case that you want to try Scott's advice, which for some unexplained to me reason, some time helps in "no boot" failure, you have to remove your board from the case. I've complained on this bad and not acceptable design, that in order to reach the CMOS battery, user have to remove the board (which is not an easy task), but there was no response from Intel.  In my opinion, Intel shall give an easy access to board upper side, without need to remove it from the case.

In the mean time this is a link to clip showing how to disassemble the board form case. This clip showing NUC5CPYH, but it will be very similar to yours. You shall decide if you want to do this or ask for replacement.

Intel NUC Fan Replacement - YouTube

Leon