5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 4:35 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC6CAYH no video

sushi17

Hi,

Just got a NUC6CAYH, installed memory and HD. Hook up to VGA and HDMI and no video. Took out memory (4gb 1.35v pc3 12800 sodimm). Still no video. Took out HD. Still no video.

Help appreciated.

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH no video
          N.Scott.Pearson

If you attempt to start it with DIMMs removed, do you see the Power LED flashing?

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH no video
            sushi17

In all cases the front panel led and internal leds come on. The power button flashes.

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH no video
              N.Scott.Pearson

Ok, that's good; it tells us that the board is powering on ok. If you install your memory, does this LED still flash at power on? [Hint: if it does flash, it means the SODIMM is not being accepted]

What is the part number for this SODIMM?

What monitors do you have connected (part numbers please)?

How are these monitors connected (i.e. what adapters/dongles/cables)?

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH no video
                sushi17

What is the part number for this SODIMM?

PSD34G1600L81S (LED does not flash, only flash when no mem)

What monitors do you have connected (part numbers please)?

have tried

Viewsonic Vp191s (VGA)

HP 2171d (VGA)

Asus pb278 (HDMI)

How are these monitors connected (i.e. what adapters/dongles/cables)?

VGA or HDMI depending on monitor

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH no video
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, I have nothing to suggest. It should just work. There are two possibilities, the NUC is unhappy with the DIMM(s) or the NUC is just plain unhappy. As I look at the DIMM online, it appears to have 8 ICs on a side. This makes me think that it is potentially using 1/2 Gb technology. The NUC6CAYS/H requires DIMMs with 4/8 Gb technology. This doesn't make sense if the part is on the compatibility list, of course, but I have seen instances where this has happened before.

You can try replacing the DIMM(s) or you can have the base unit replaced. If the problem is the DIMM, you will be right back in the same situation with the new base unit. Your choice...

...S