3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2017 1:46 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC7ixBNH - Memory

CarlosLima

Hello Intel,

Before, thanks for always answering my doubts posted.

I bought a NUC for a customer and the supplier of the memories (16GBx2) reported not being able to ship before December 22nd and this forces me to buy again to meet the customer on time.

My question is?

This NUC. (In case his is the NUC7I3BNH) can receive 16GB of memory in only 1 comb? ie just use one slot (16GB) and leave the other slot empty, so when he wants to add more memory and have 32GB in the future?

Logically, I think so, but I've learned that dealing with the manufacturer will always prevent trouble.

I intend to buy the one from this link:

Amazon.com: Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFD8213: Computers & Acce…

Although it is possible to leave an empty slot, is there any record that makes use of both slots to avoid problems or is it really safe to use one of the slots only? For me, it really is indifferent to use one or both slots.

Thanks again.

memo.JPG

• 1. Re: NUC7ixBNH - Memory
          CarlosLima

Taking advantage of the same topic of the subject on RAM, I would like to know which of the two memory models below is best for my use NUC as mediacenter; NUC7i7BNH ...

And if both are compatible with the model:

A - Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4SFD8213
          neste link: Amazon.com: Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4SFD8213: Computer…

OR

B - Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 Unbuffered SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4SFD824A

neste link: Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 Unbuffered SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4SFD824A at Amazon.…

My question about compatibility is in terms that differentiate both:

A / B

DDR4 2133 / DDR4 2400
          PC4-17000 / PC4 19200
          SODIMM / Unbuffered SODIMM

• 2. Re: NUC7ixBNH - Memory
            N.Scott.Pearson

I have a pair of 16GB CT2K16G4SFD8213 DIMMs, specifically CT16G4SFD8213.C16FAD1, that I use for my NUC testing and have used in almost every DDR4-based NUC. If you specifically get these exact DIMMs, I don't think you will go wrong.

If you install one of these DIMMs (either slot), it should work just fine. Obviously, because you are using only one of the two memory controllers, performance will suffer slightly. If you later install a second DIMM - one exactly matching the first - in the other slot, it should continue to work and should increase performance not only because of having 16GB more memory, but also because both memory controllers will be in use.

Hope this helps,

...S

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: NUC7ixBNH - Memory
              N.Scott.Pearson

(I should have included this in my previous response but the NUCs currently containing them were busy at the time)

I also have a pair of 8GB CT2K8G4SFD8213 DIMMs, specifically CT8G4SFD8213.16FA2, that I use for my NUC testing. I have used them without issue, together and separately, in almost all of the DDR4-based NUCs. BTW, by "almost all", I mean that I have not yet tested them in the new DN NUCs; I have used them successfully in SY, KY and BN NUCs.

Hope this (also) helps,

...S