6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2018 6:47 AM by Intel Corporation

Dell XPS 13 Black Screen after Intel Driver Updates

dell_xps_13

Recently I updated drivers and BIOS for my Dell XPS 9343 (with QHD touch screen).

I went to the Dell website to do this and allowed it to detect and install the drivers. It also picked up a BIOS updated.

After a reboot, the screen goes black after the Dell Logo, i.e. when Windows starts to load and the power button turns off even though the system is still on.

I can connect an external monitor and see the display.

I can remove the Intel HD 5500 graphics driver (reverting to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) and can see the display on my laptop screen.

Windows update then kicks in an re-installs the Intel graphics Driver and I'm back to black screen.

I have re-installed Windows (10, 64-bit) with a clean installation. Same issue.

I've had Dell support remote into the computer and try then same things I have tried.

Eventually Dell told me that it was a known issue with a bad Intel driver and that I had to wait for an update from Intel.

All diagnostic tests report OK.

So Intel: Dell are saying that you've got a known problem with one or more of your drivers! I've got an expensive ultrabook that cannot use its GPU unless connected to an external monitor.

Where do I go from here as I cannot imagine that these drivers are causing issues for everyone else we'd see more about it?