5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2017 8:51 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

i5 7200U stuck at 0.38Ghz - Miix 720 12IKB

Nanami

HI

I bought my computer in february, and all was running smooth (except my backcam non recognized at 5mpx but at 2.09mpx) regarding cpu wasn't any problem.

That until Creator Update hits.

My problem is very simple. My cpu is stuck at 0.36ghz whatever i do, playing game watching film ot anything else..i suddently noticed it when happened because the system did the same things that always did in 5-6 times slower way. This was happened in middle October.

I updated bios form lenovo, i updated all drivers from lenovo too. I uptaded all drivers from windows updated hoping from a  solution..nothing. I also used a tool DriverEasy to check the lastest diver avable not showing on windows update, after checking the matching drivers i manually istalled it to a newer version if avable.. but my problem persisted.

that until first days of november when a big update "x64 widnows comabibility something.." shown on windows update, i istalled it, and system was running fine again.

This update also modified the energy management erasing all anergy profiles, setting it to a new configuration with a long bar where you can choose between high saving and max performance.

To avoid any further problem i disabled Windows Update in Services and my system was fine... or at least i hope so BUT 10 days ago without any update during normal use, my processor was back to 0.38 Ghz.. same symptoms..

Re-enabled Windows update, deploying last drivers from lenovo too, didn't help once again.

I'm using my pc at 0.38 and is like a jump in the past when i was using Windows 98, this is a pic running a game when the first time problem occurred.

Screenshot (10).png

• 1. Re: i5 7200U stuck at 0.38Ghz - Miix 720 12IKB
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Nanami,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support.  I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with the Intel® Core™ i5-7200U in your Lenovo™ computer.  Since the processor is not able to work higher that 0.38 GHz, please check the Power Options in Windows® 10 to confirm that it has not been set up to limit the system usage.

Additionally, you can diagnose the processor.  You can install the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to run a test in the processor, and you can install Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility to run a CPU stress test.  Please use these tools and let me know the results.

You can download these tools with the links below:

Regards,

Xavier A.
          • 2. Re: i5 7200U stuck at 0.38Ghz - Miix 720 12IKB
            Nanami

Hi,

i did all you said, here the results: no limit of CPU is set in power managment (but i did tests in past days and changing minimum value of CPU do not affect the CPU, stil 0,38Ghz even if you set 50%, 70% or so on)

I run the diagnostic test first, and i passed all test, but i noticed that processor % usage didnt match the windows CPU activity % usage. The cap was always 0.38 GHZ during all tests.

Then i did the Exreme tool test with CPU stress test 5min. The result prove the data spotted before. CPU usage 100% with 0.40ghz max cpu usage. Windows % usage always was different but cap was also the same(0.38Ghz). Isn't a matter of vIruses according Panda Antivirus with lastest virus definition.

Screenshot (3).png4_LI.jpg6ù_LI.jpg

13.png

• 3. Re: i5 7200U stuck at 0.38Ghz - Miix 720 12IKB
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Nanami,

Thank you for the information provided.  There are a few additional troubleshooting steps you can try.

First, access your system BIOS and load its default settings.  Then, still in the BIOS, disable the Intel SpeedStep® Technology.

Later, access Windows®, and download and install the Intel® Processor Identification Utility.  Please use the next link to get this tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838

This tool will test the processor at two speeds: the Expected speed, and the Reported speed.  Please let me know what is the Reported speed.  If possible, please attach a screenshot.

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 4. Re: i5 7200U stuck at 0.38Ghz - Miix 720 12IKB
                Nanami

HI,

My BIOS do not allow to disable SpeedStep that is not listed at all. I'm using lastest Lenovo BIOS version, you can check the  previously pic to find the bios model, in my previously answer.

Loading default settind didn't help.

Screenshot (16).png

But i discovered any findinggs could be potentially useful. According ThrottleStop the problem is that my multiplyer is stuck at x4 whetever it takes, even if my CPU temp is 34 degree.

Disabling "DB PROCHOT" affect my cpu and mutiplyer come back to x31.

But this isnt a permanently solution because everytime my computer go sleep or switch off screen i have to re-launch progroma and doing so it disable DB PROCHOT again.

Morover the program do not affect the boot time in witch CPU is fixed at 0.4 with boot time six-seven time slower then usualy was. Here some shots

Screenshot (14).pngScreenshot (15).png

Please fix that is wrong permanently.

• 5. Re: i5 7200U stuck at 0.38Ghz - Miix 720 12IKB
                  N.Scott.Pearson

I hate to be this blunt, but why are you here? This is obviously an issue with software/firmware and/or Windows. You should be asking Lenovo for help resolving this issue, not Intel. What are they saying when you ask on their forums?

...S