Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Will there be support for HDR for the 6th generation of Skylake processors?

TIbra
Beginner

I have an i-3 6100U processor with HD 520 graphics. When will the support HDR be?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As far as I know, HDR is only supported in 7th gen and newer processors and then only with the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
TIbra
Beginner

You also told me that HDMI 2.0 is in 7 generations of processors. However, it is not. In the 7th generation there is only HDMI 1.4.

So I would like to receive an official response from the staff of Intel.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HerzogZwei,

I understand you need information about HDR support on 6th Generation processor. Let me help you on this matter.

Actually, Scott is right about this. You can confirm this information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025998/graphics-drivers.html here

Additionally, I have attached a picture of HDR support.

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, Of course I am correct - and I was correct previously Timur; you couldn't even quote me correctly (and I *never* mentioned HDMI 1.4 vs. HDMI 2.0).

...S

0 Kudos
TIbra
Beginner

For 4K 60Hz you need HDMI 2.0. The 7th generation is limited to the 1.4 version of HDMI. You wrote that the 7th generation can 4K 60Hz in the topic by reference.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Absolutely correct! I said I can (and do!) get 4K@60Hz with a 7th generation processor (with a BN NUC). In fact, I can (and do!) get 4K@60Hz with a 6th generation processor (with a SY NUC). While it is true that the HDMI ports on both the 6th and 7th generation NUCs can only achieve 4K@30Hz, using a DP-to-HDMI adapter on the 6th generation NUC and a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter on the 7th generation NUC, I can (and do!) get 4K@60Hz HDMI 2.0 outputs.

What you need to remember is that the processor generates ONLY Display Port output. It is a DP-to-HDMI IC that enables the HDMI output connector on these NUCs. IMHO, Intel's choice of DP-to-HDMI IC has been rather poor...

...S

0 Kudos