Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

I210 External Flash Programming with a Tegra X2

LDean
Novice

I'm making a carrier card for a Tegra X2 computer on module (running Linux 4.4.38-tegra aarch64) and using the Intel I210 to get a second Ethernet port. I've verified that the I210 works with the Tegra using an external Flash chip programmed before putting it on the board with an image copied from an I210 adapter card Flash. To make it easier to manufacture I'd like to program the Flash in-circuit. I've seen the BootUtil and EEUPDATE used to program the Flash and have downloaded both. Is one of these better for an application like this?

I'm new to Linux and relying on Google to fill in the blanks, so I've used "sudo -i" to get into root where the EEUPDATE guide says to and followed the reset of the install for Linus directions as I could, it says its successful but doesn't seem to be working.

root@lamont-tx2|~> cd Temporary/

root@lamont-tx2|Temporary> ls

install iqvlinux.tar.gz

root@lamont-tx2|Temporary> chmod 777 install

root@lamont-tx2|Temporary> ls

install iqvlinux.tar.gz

root@lamont-tx2|Temporary> ./install

Extracting archive..OK!

Compiling the driver...OK!

Removing existing iqvlinux.ko driver...OK

Copying iqvlinux.ko driver file to /lib/modules directory...OK!

Driver installation verification...Installed!

root@lamont-tx2|~> exit

logout

nvidia@lamont-tx2|/> EEUPDATE

-bash: EEUPDATE: command not found

From reading the guide it sounds like the EEUPDATE without options should give me a list of devices. What am I not doing or is this a larger problem? The I210 shows up using the lspci as an un-programmed device.

nvidia@lamont-tx2|~> lspci

00:01.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10e5 (rev a1)

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 1531 (rev 03)

The BootUtil looks like the better choice but my inexperience with Linux is getting in the way. I've stopped with the BootUtil at the "2. Compile the driver module." from the guide. I've found the following directions for compiling a driver but I'm not sure if that's what I need to do with it.

https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/compiling-drivers-linux-and-adding-them-your-linux-automation-image Compiling Drivers for Linux and Adding Them to your Linux Automation Image | Symantec Connect

To clarify what I'm after, can I program the Flash in-circuit with the Tegra X2, if so is BootUtil or EEUPDATE a better choice, am I on the right trail with using these tools, is there any help out there to get me down the road quicker?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

LaMont

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi LaMont_Dean,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. With regards to your inquiry about flash programming in I210, please register at our Resource and Design Center at

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/resource-design-center.html. They can better assist you.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
LDean
Novice

I have had a login for a little bit and have contacted the Resource and Design Center. Their response was that they didn't think they could help me with this. I may be missing some piece of documentation but if I am I'm still not seeing it.

I found an "install" file in the Preboot.tar files I uploaded to my Tegra (Downloads/Intel_I210_Flash/APPS/BootUtil/Linux_x64/DRIVER/) from the "https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005790/software/manageability-products.html Upgrade, Enable, or Disable Flash with the Intel Flash Firmware Utility" page that talks about the "BootUtil". The install and associated files look very much like the EEUPDATE files so I tried the same steps, I used my super user access in the directory I found the files in to run the install. I noticed the install created an iqvlinux.ko file so I used modprobe to install it, and lsmod to see that it was installed, but it didn't seem to do anything. Rebooting the Tegra removes the module from the lsmod list. From the guides, I'm expecting the BootUtil or EEUPDATE commands to list devices when not accompanied buy an option, but option or not the system doesn't recognize either command after running the associated install files.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi LaMont_Dean,

Thank you for the update and apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. I will further check for you. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
LDean
Novice

Hi Sharon,

So I got an email from you about contacting the Embedded Community but it isn't showing up in my Intel profile inbox or letting my reply to it. Do I need to start a new issue/support ticket or is there a way to move this over to them? Also, does the Embedded group deal more with integration or would questions about the BootUtil and EEUPDATE be ones for them also? Because I've got questions about what I should be expecting out of these modules/utilities in general. Am I trying to use them correctly? Have I missed something in the normal installation procedure? Are one of these recommend over the other if I where trying to connect using a standard Windows or Linux machine?

Thanks,

LaMont

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi LaMont_Dean,

Thank you for the reply. You need to post your inquiry at embedded support communities below, you may click on the link below :

https://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
DKlet
Beginner

You need to change directories using cd, to where you have the eeupdate64e file. It is in the package under TOOLS/Linux_x64/OEM_Mfg (assuming you are using Linux 64 bit). You will need to chmod the eeupdate64e file as well, to change permissions on it, prior to running it - sudo chmod u+x . Then run the program - sudo ./eeupdate64e - this will show what adapters are available. Then add additional parameters to do what you want, as described in the help file.

0 Kudos