1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 4:29 PM by Salem_Intel

Quick check on new DG45FC install (advice please!)

Stilez

Hi,

This should be a fairly easy request for a check and advice. In-depth answers would help on any possible issues.

I've just bought a DG45FC.

Purpose and setup: Hosting twin 2GB data drives as a file server. OS will be WinXP SP3 (32 bit).  It won't be doing much else. Other hardware:  2 GB ram, DVD, and a third (2.5") HD to act as the system drive.

While waiting for the PSU, I would like to double check two areas new to me:

(a)  drivers and installation:

I'd probably like to be using AHCI (no reason not to, probably more efficient). But this needs the extra drivers during XP install. Not inclined to use nLite (I customize my install folder and nLite seems to try and alter it so it doesn't always work afterwards) so I'm not sure how better to install Windows.

Or if I can't:

• What are the issues with sticking with IDE mode and how badly will they affect anything?  Or can they be installed afterwards somehow and then the BIOS changed to AHCI as well?

• Or, is there a USB floppy drive that definitively is known to be recognized by XP install (tried one listed at MS website, no go)

(b)  RAID 1/Rapid Recovery:

I'm not clear on the difference between the two or between RRT and ordinary RAID1 (obviously RRT is a RAID1 variant). The data drives are big and the data would be a pain to lose. I've done the usual - different batches, etc - and considered the risk that some virus or PSU issue might fry both drives simultaneously. What I would like to protect against is data loss due to an individual HD failure, or corruption of stored data on an individual HD over time.

RAID1/RRT seems an ideal way to do this, but I haven't needed to use RAID before so I have a few questions.

• Can the ICH10 be configured to run 3 or 4 drives as a mixed system: - a system drive, a possible spare ("temp") drive, and 2 drives mirrored/RRT'ed?

• Should I use RAID 1, RRT, or just operate it as 2 drives and use backup/sychronization software between them? Any differences or things I need to know about RAID1 and/or RRT to make a decision?

• Under RAID1/RRT, is data compared on read to ensure fidelity, or is it just mirrored to both and on reading grabbed from the primary unless the primary gives an error?

• If I use RAID1/RRT, is there a way (software or otherwise) to tell the system to compare the two and report any data differences it finds? If not, how would I check that no data is corrupted between the two of them? (If RRT exposes the second drive as read-only to run a file compare program that would be one way)

• How is data speed (MB/s) affected under RAID1/RRT, compared to using a single drive without RAID/RRT?

Thanks for any input on these!

• 1. Re: Quick check on new DG45FC install (advice please!)
          Salem_Intel

Hi!
          In regards to your inquiries, we have the following comments/suggestions:

(a)  Drivers and Installation:
          1.    What are the issues with sticking with IDE mode and how badly will they affect anything?
          We have not had similar cases reported nor do we have a known issue with IDE mode; just know theoretical better hard drive performance is input when using either AHCI or RAID mode.  If you do not have even RAID-Ready in mind, then, the SATA mode to choose is IDE.

2.    Can they be installed afterwards somehow and then the BIOS changed to AHCI as well?
          No, SATA mode in BIOS is not recommended to be switched once the Operating System is installed.

Very Important Note: We apologetically confirm AHCI on your Intel(R) Desktop Board DG45FC is only supported under Windows Vista* and Windows* 7.

3.    Is there a USB floppy drive that definitively is known to be recognized by XP install (tried one listed at MS website, no go)?
          You may also try the following workaround, which we have verified it works on some models of USB floppy disk drives:

- Open 'txtsetup.oem' file found on the RAID driver floppy disk you created.  You may edit this file with any text editor such as Notepad*.

- Copy the following lines just after the [HardwareIds.scsi.(devicename)] section of the file, then save it to the floppy disk:
          id = "USB\VID_03F0&PID_2001", "usbstor" #--HP
          id = "USB\VID_054C&PID_002C", "usbstor" #--Sony
          id = "USB\VID_057B&PID_0001", "usbstor" #--Y-E Data
          id = "USB\VID_0409&PID_0040", "usbstor" #--NEC
          id = "USB\VID_0424&PID_0FDC", "usbstor" #--SMSC
          id = "USB\VID_08BD&PID_1100", "usbstor" #--Iomega
          id = "USB\VID_055D&PID_2020", "usbstor" #--Samsung"

(b)  RAID 1/Rapid Recovery:
          1.    “I'm not clear on the difference between the two or between RRT and ordinary RAID1
          Intel(R) Rapid Recover Technology is a feature of Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology.  It uses RAID 1 functionality to copy data from a designated master drive to a designated recovery drive.  Please, refer to the following URL for more details:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-026142.htm

2.    “Can the ICH10 be configured to run 3 or 4 drives as a mixed system: - a system drive, a possible spare ("temp") drive, and 2 drives mirrored/RRT'ed?
          Yes, I confirm the BIOS on your Intel(R) Desktop Board DG45FC allows to configure the SATA hard drives as you wish.   See the following URLs:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022304.htm
          http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-028610.htm

3.   Should I use RAID 1, RRT, or just operate it as 2 drives and use backup/sychronization software between them? Any differences or things I need to know about RAID1 and/or RRT to make a decision?
          As it is impossible for technical support to take into account all of the different usage patterns and possible hardware configurations that you might consider in building the system, we would not be able to give a valid advice.  You could refer to the following URL for information on RAID:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-020811.htm

4.    “Under RAID1/RRT, is data compared on read to ensure fidelity, or is it just mirrored to both and on reading grabbed from the primary unless the primary gives an error?
          The master drive data can be copied to the recovery drive either continuously or on request.  For more details, please, refer to the following URL:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-026142.htm

5.    “If I use RAID1/RRT, is there a way (software or otherwise) to tell the system to compare the two and report any data differences it finds? If not, how would I check that no data is corrupted between the two of them? (If RRT exposes the second drive as read-only to run a file compare program that would be one way)
          I appreciate the feedback.  Regretfully, there is no file-compare program per see that we can share with you.  We do comment, though, the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology software is an automated RAID monitoring software, so if there’s a critical data corruption, it should notify this within the Operating System.

6.    “How is data speed (MB/s) affected under RAID1/RRT, compared to using a single drive without RAID/RRT?
          AHCI is only active when the SATA mode is set to either AHCI or RAID, and, thus, AHCI means better hard drive performance within the Operating System.  There is no specific way, though, to determine precisely how faster AHCI would be in comparison with IDE SATA Mode.

Please, refer to the following URL for more details:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-012304.htm

Just make sure your drives do support AHCI and that your Operating System has the latest updates.