7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2017 8:55 PM by martmann

Finding right NUC

leeseoul

I love the Intel Nucs. I've purchased several of them for my personal use and recommended them for others also. However, your new format for displaying information about your products is really horrible!!! When I want to browse your latest NUC products, the most important thing is looking for a NUC with specs that meet what I'm looking for, and number one is which CPU. But instead of organizing your NUCs by commonly used CPU names, such as i3, i7, Celeron, etc., which everyone is familiar with, you're now using numbers such as "95442 Processor Included". Come on, who uses those kinds of processor numbers? Perhaps some enthusiast who's researched all the CPUs and knows exactly which precise one they want. But certainly not the general public, and I bet even most Intel employees wouldn't know off-hand which number goes with which processor name, unless there's some secret method to your numbering system that I'm not aware of.

In short, when I want to search on your website to see the specs for all Intel NUCs with an i3 processor, I want to be able to see a list of filters that has i3 as an option, not some cryptic processor number.

Furthermore, your specs once you do find a NUC are far from being clear. If I type the model number into Amazon or any retailer, they show right in the heading what the commonly used CPU name is, plus amount of memory/storage capacity, etc. if it's a NUC with those options. But when I pull up something like the NUC7I5BNKP, which has Windows 10 pre-installed, I'm presented with specs such as Launch Date and Lithography at the very top. How are those significant for someone just wanting to find the basic specs of the product? Obviously there's some storage device included with this NUC if Windows 10 is pre-installed, but I can't even see anyplace in the specs where it even lists what storage it includes. How can you expect me to buy your product when you can't even list what kind of storage the product includes? You need to include commonly used CPU name, amount of installed RAM, storage, OS, and things that every other PC maker on the planet uses to describe their products displayed prominently at the top of the specs. Forcing people who want to buy your product to search all over, and end up visiting non-Intel sites just to get the most basic of information about your product is quite unbelievable. It's as if whoever designed your NUC webpages is doing their best to destroy your NUC business by frustrating potential buyers.

Please, please, please, completely redo your product pages and absolutely include the commonly used processor names.

• 1. Re: Finding right NUC
          martmann

Are you referring to NUCs listed on the Intel Shop?

The Model number itself say a lot about the specs. for instance the headline :

Intel® NUC7i5DNKE BGA 1356 2.6GHz i5

tells you it is a 7th gen, i5 processor with a 2.6GHz clock.

You can copy the model number and google NUC7i5DnKE ARK, and one of the top results will take you to an Intel Page with All Related Knowledge to that model.

I could be wrong, but I do not believe Intel sells any NUC with an OS, RAM, or Storage device, so if you are looking at that info, it is probably from a vendor, not intel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Finding right NUC
            N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, I was gonna ask you where you were looking...

The Shop Intel pages for the NUCs are sorted alphabetically by NUC Name -- which orders them newest to oldest and tells you what processor generation and what processor version (i3, i5, i7, Celeron or Pentium) the NUC's processor falls into -- and the site offers, amongst its *many* search criteria, the selection of processor generation and/or processor version. Bottom line, unless I am missing something, it is doing exactly what you are asking for it to do.

Just saying,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Finding right NUC
              leeseoul

I was referring to these pages:

For NUC PCs with Windows pre-installed: Intel® NUC Mini PCs

For NUC Kits without Windows OS, memory, etc: Intel® NUC Kits

In searching Google for 'Intel Nuc' the first result is what leads to these pages, and what I assume most people would be using if they wanted to check Intel's NUC specs.

Having the CPU part of a cryptic model number I don't believe to be an adequate method of letting someone who isn't familiar with Intel's specific coding of model numbers indicates the CPU type. For example this item on the NUC Kits page:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC6CAYH

95594 Processor Included

2.5" Drive Internal Drive Form Factor

VGA (HDB15); HDMI 2.0 Graphics Output

From $10,856

After typing that model number into Google and finding the link on Amazon, I see it's a Celeron Quad-Core. So I'm guessing that based on what you posted, the '6' means 6th generation, and the 'C' means Celeron. But how is someone who's researching NUCs for the first time supposed to know that? When you click on the link for that NUC, it doesn't even mention there that the CPU is a Celeron, nor quad-core. In fact the only information about the CPU is that it's 14 nm lithography and soldered down BGA. There's not even a mention of the clock speed. And yes, that $10,856 is what's listed as the price for this model. Not sure why, but what a way to put off a potential customer from buying what's the low-end NUC.

For the model you mentioned, NUC7i3DNKE, the link from the page I'm using takes me to:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3DNKE

And again, no real information about the CPU. Only you can surmise it's a 7th generation i3 based on the model number, as you pointed out. There's no section in the specs for the CPU. No clock speed, number of cores, etc. Only under 'Essentials' does it mention that the socket is soldered down BGA.

So it looks like the Intel Shop does give some more information, but I'm not looking to buy my NUC from Intel Shop, so never thought that they'd have more detailed specs there than on the main Intel NUC page.

• 4. Re: Finding right NUC
                leeseoul

When I pull up the Intel Shop, it doesn't sort alphabetically by name, but rather defaults to newest first. But in the Intel Shop, you're right, you can sort by processor type using the commonly used Intel names. After reviewing the Intel Shop page, it's immensely better at getting information on Intel NUCs than the main Intel NUC page I linked.

• 5. Re: Finding right NUC
                  N.Scott.Pearson

As for support.intel.com, I gave up. It was a great site previously, but the current iteration is, well, AWFUL. Just try to find a Technical Product Spec or an Application Note and you will see how SCREWED UP their search engine actually is. Heaven forbid you want information on an EOLed product. And imagine a site that will give you a hit for volume 2 of 2 but NOTHING for volume 1 of 2.... Like I said, AWFUL.

...S

• 7. Re: Finding right NUC
                    martmann

See, I told you I could be wrong :^)

I've Never seen that site, thanks.

I do agree with N. Scott Pearson about support.intel.com, scary bad.