3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2017 3:44 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Highest resolution display with D54250WYB

KjetilK

All,

I'm new here, but I've been looking for a new display for my trust Intel NUC D54250WYB. I understand it doesn't support 4K @ 60Hz, but I'd like to see how close I can get with a pretty inexpensive display.

I currently run two 1680x1050@59.9 displays, and I'd like to keep one of them running on the HDMI port. First question: Can I run near 4K on the DP port with this running on the HDMI port?

I came to this forum because I found a Samsung U28E590D on sale today, and found this thread:
      Re: D54250WYK, Samsung U28D590D, 4K-resolution not working where many express their frustrations that the D54250WYB doesn't support 4K @ 60Hz. I didn't have the expectation it would,  and I haven't bought the display yet, so I'm not frustrated :-) I too run Linux Mint on the NUC.

So, what's the status on that today, can we get 3840x2160 @ 40Hz running reliably on Linux with this display? What would the highest resolution I could have with 60Hz with this display?

Are there any other choices that would be better?

Another inexpensive display I have on sale today is Asus VP28UQG and then the more expensive AOC U3277PWQU and Samsung U28E850R

Any experience you can share with using them with D54250WYB and Linux would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Highest resolution display with D54250WYB
          N.Scott.Pearson

I have a Samsung UN40KU6290 40" UHD TV that I use for testing with the NUCs (it's really part of my basement HTPC setup).

I usually have my SY NUC connected to it, as I know that 4K@60Hz is supported on its DP connector (it's only 4K@30Hz on the HDMI connector; you need the BN NUC for 4K@60Hz via HDMI) and I have the (expensive) DP-to-HDMI adapter to get me there.

I hooked my WY NUC to the TV using this same DP-to-HDMI adapter. I was only able to get 4K@30Hz. Similarly, I tried it using only mHDMI-to-HDMI dongle. Again, I was only able to get 4K@30Hz (but this was expected).

I didn't run any exhaustive tests while I had each connection in place. I simply went to YouTube and ran one of the 4K@60Hz samples that they have there.

This is all with Windows; I do not have a setup for running Linux. I would expect that Linux can match this, however.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Highest resolution display with D54250WYB
            KjetilK

OK, thanks! That's interesting! If I understand you correctly, you're running only this one large display on the NUC, right?

Perhaps I could live with 4K@30Hz... I'm not gaming or anything, just an occasional video, mostly it is a my development platform. I just a lot of screen real estate to have all the information I need visible.

How does it look at 30Hz? It isn't flickering or anything?

• 3. Re: Highest resolution display with D54250WYB
              N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, I was running with just the TV; no other monitors connected. With this TV, I am not seeing any major differences between 30Hz and 60Hz. There's certainly no flickering or any similar phenomenon that I can see (of course, I only have one eye and it *is* 60 years old). I even tried this both ways, (1) switching from the 60Hz-capable adapter to a 30Hz-capable adapter and (2) using only the 60Hz-capable adapter and switching from 30Hz to 60Hz in the Control Panel.

What I wonder is, if I had a *real* 4K Monitor (as opposed to this TV) -- which can react that much faster (response time 5ms instead of 10-20ms) -- would there then be a noticeable difference? Someone with such a monitor (and better eyes than mine) will need to tell us.

My development PC used to an ancient (GTX 260) graphics card and two 1080p monitors on it. I wanted more pixels (especially vertically; us software developers want a bigger window into our code), so I took advantage of last week's cyber sales and purchased a new (GTX 1060) graphics card (so I can get 4K@60Hz) and another 40" Samsung 4K TV. This works great, though (a) I am not sure what the long-term effects of sitting 36" from it will be and (b) to save my neck, I need to lower the TV so that more of it is below my sight line (and haven't quite figured out how to do that yet).

I mention this for two reasons, first because you seem to be headed towards the same solution and second because I wanted to comment on a complaint I have seen (too many times) regarding the Intel HD Graphics driver. Folks have been saying that, when the system goes to sleep, things go wrong when it is later awoken. The complaints included monitor not waking up and windows being shrunk and shoved into the top-left corner of the screen. Most complaints always also say NVIDIA and ATI/AMD don't have these problems. Well, I am here to say that they do. First, if the PC sleeps long enough that the TV goes into it power savings state, it has to be manually awoken. Second, if the PC has not slept long enough for the TV to transition into its power savings state, I sometimes see the windows shrunk and shoved into the top-left corner of the screen. This doesn't happen every time, however, and hasn't happened enough times for me to spot what the difference is.

...S