7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 3:25 AM by Al Hill

SAS HDD into SATA II board

inteligent

Will G41 chipset (SATA II) accept my SAS drive via a cable adapter or an SAS controller card? Some say cable, others say card. I am still reading and still not clear. Star-Tech part number: SAS729PW18 & I quote..."allows you to connect a SAS drive to SATA controller that supports SAS drives."  Is the "sata controller" built into my 'board, since my PC is already a SATA? Thank You. My lack of hardware knowledge belies my 3 score+5 residency here.

• 1. Re: SAS HDD into SATA II board
          Al Hill

What does your motherboard manufacturer say?  That chipset is already 9 years old and no longer supported.

If Star-Tech says it will work, try it.  If it does not, send it back.

Personally, rather than trying to get something to work on a board that is nine years old, I would concentrate on a new system and avoid these kinds of issues.

Doc

• 2. Re: SAS HDD into SATA II board
            inteligent

It's an INTEL 'board. Thank You for your opinion.

• 3. Re: SAS HDD into SATA II board
              Al Hill

Then, tell us what board it is.  Also, the board will be un-supported as well.  And, if you are running Windows 10, you will be un-supported.  The key here is that you are unsupported.  So, you can take the leap forward, try the star-tech device, and let the rest of the community know how it goes, or does not go.  You will not find anyone here who is going to tell you that this will work.  The best response is that it "may" work.

Doc

• 4. Re: SAS HDD into SATA II board
                inteligent

Please allow me to rephrase my question: Does anyone out there know if my Intel board number 0HN-7XN (Dell OptiPlex 380, G41 chipset, SATA II) will support an SAS drive? I already own the drive. If I am asking in the wrong forum, please re-direct me. Thanks,

• 5. Re: SAS HDD into SATA II board
                  Al Hill

That is not an Intel board.  Contact Dell for support.

Regarding the chipset and processor, they are not supported, and no one here is going to tell you that the startech adapter will work on equipment this old.  Just try it for yourself, and if it does not work, return it to startech.

Doc

• 6. Re: SAS HDD into SATA II board
                    inteligent

I see that Dell T3500 server tower can use SATA or SAS drives. It is supplied with SATA drives or you can purchase a controller card for use with SAS drives. The board has ICH7 (82801). The same controller hub as on my Dell 380. I am going to run with SYBA PEX-40096. SYBA's  feedback indicates this is a go. I appreciate all the objective and subjective comments...no sarcasm intended. "The truth is out there." Remember the first heart transplant. The good doctor had to try it. So do I! My next home PC will be a server.

• 7. Re: SAS HDD into SATA II board
                      Al Hill

Good for you.  And, 16 ddays ago, for $20.99US  at Startech, you could have purchased (with a lifetime warranty), received, tested, and reported your results.

Careful with your next PC being a server.  Do your research before you purchase.  Also, your problem is not whether you have a server or not.  It is that you have a 9-year old chipset that is not supported on your OS.

Good luck moving forward.

Doc