I just build new system yesterday. My specs are:

İ7 8700k

Asus tuf z370

asus gtx 1080 ti oc

g skill 3200 mhz 16 gb ram

Samsung evo 960 m

cooler master master liquid 240 pro

Windows 10 pro

My problem is my cpu has temperature spikes. İdle is 30-31 and suddenly it goes 50*60*40 etc. On games, battlefront with extreme settings max is 65. On assassin creed origins on menu it is 80 and in game after a few minutes 90 and 97 degree. Does someone has experience those spikes and high temperatures also should i return this cpu or is there a fix?

• 1. Re: 8700 K insane spikes and temperatures
          Robert7667

I'm having the exact same issue, with virtually the same setup.

i7-8700k, 3.7

MSI z370-a pro MB

MSI Geforce 1070

fan cooled CPU--from Intel.

Nothing is OC.

Idle or just internet browsing the temperatures are in the 30's C, but under load while gaming it will run in the mid 70's C with spikes in the up 90's C.  I just bought the computer, and I'm trying to make certain Intel thinks this is acceptable for the chips longevity.  Those temp spikes seem very high.

• 2. Re: 8700 K insane spikes and temperatures
            vpsycho

Actually mine does heat spikes ,n mostly everything when ı open calculator or web page or looking news gallery etc..

• 3. Re: 8700 K insane spikes and temperatures
              N.Scott.Pearson

What speed is your memory? Remember that you are overclocking at least part of the processor when you use *any* memory that is run at speeds higher than 2133MHz...

Just saying,

...S

• 4. Re: 8700 K insane spikes and temperatures
                vpsycho

g skill 3200 mhz 16 gb ram ı have. And it works on same 3200 mhz.

• 5. Re: 8700 K insane spikes and temperatures
                  N.Scott.Pearson

...Then you are definitely overclocking at least a portion of the processor and the potential for higher temperatures is there.

In desktop processors, intel defines three important thermal thresholds:

1. Ttrip, the Thermal Trip Temperature, is the temperature threshold at which the Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) is going to power off (thermtrip) the processor to protect the silicon from permanent damage as a result of a runaway temperature condition. Since it varies from one individual processor to another, Intel does not identify exactly where this threshold is. Suffice it to say, it is some amount (some say ~20c) above Tjmax.
                  2. Tjmax, the Maximum Junction Temperature, is the temperature threshold at which the TCC is going to begin throttling processor performance in order to protect the processor from unsafe temperatures. This threshold also varies from one individual processor to another, but it is usually in a fairly tight range around 100c. Each of the processor's Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) tell you digitally how far (as an offset) below the Tjmax threshold the local silicon temperature actually is. The highest possible reading, (an offset of) 0, indicates that the temperature is at or above Tjmax. That is, temperatures above the Tjmax threshold cannot be digitally represented. If, for example, a processor's Tjmax is 100c and the current temperature at a DTS is 105c, the DTS will still return (offset) 0, indicating that the temperature (still) appears to be 100c.
                  3. Tcontrol, the Control Temperature, is the temperature threshold below which the motherboard's fan speed control subsystem is supposed to maintain the temperature. While temperature spikes above the threshold are allowed (subject to the processor's thermal load line), they should be of very short duration. Now, by definition, in the absence of specific information -- like the thermal load line of the processor present and the exact thermal dissipation characteristics of the processor's cooling solution -- which would allow the system's fan speed control subsystem to determine when the temperature should be allowed to spike above Tcontrol, the subsystem is required to have the processor cooling fan(s) running at full speed (100% duty cycle). Unfortunately, too many people do not understand this and they set operational curves for the fan(s) that do not meet this requirement. Worse, some manufacturers will cheat on (or just ignore) the setting so that they can claim that their system runs quieter (at the expense of the processor lifetime).

[Aside: As I said, you cannot determine the exact temperature at which the processor will thermtrip, but an individual processor's Tjmax and Tcontrol thresholds can be read from a specific Model-Specific Register (MSR). The IA32 Temperature Target MSR (0x1A2) provides the Tjmax threshold in bits 16-23 and the Tcontrol Offset in bits 8-15. Subtracting the Tcontrol Offset from the Tjmax threshold will tell you the value of the Tcontrol threshold. Tools like RWEverything allow you to read your processor's MSRs.]

So, what to do with this information?

1. Adjust the configuration of your system's fan speed control subsystem so that the processor cooling fan(s) operate at full speed (100% duty cycle) at and above the Tcontrol threshold. Whether you implement this by anchoring the top of the fan speed control line/curve at the Tcontrol threshold or you implement an override that takes the fan to 100% if this threshold is exceeded is completely up to you. In my opinion, the latter method could result in ugly acoustics as the fan can rapidly speed up and slow down as temperature spikes occur.
                  2. In more-sophisticated fan speed control subsystems, support is provided for smoothing fan response. Using this capability, you can ensure that the fan(s) do not over-respond to temperature spikes. Determining the best smoothing interval is very important; make it too long and longer duration temperature spikes may occur; make it too short and fan acoustics will suffer (and could become annoying as some folks have seen).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: 8700 K insane spikes and temperatures
                    vpsycho

Thank you for your suggestions and help but ı strongly believe this 8th gen cpu's and 7700 k have serious problems about heating. İ just checked some forums tons of people have those heat spikes problem. İ have never faced this kind of a problem before even in my old amd and intel processors. Even i open calculator this god damn cpu create heat spike and goes from 30 degree to 55 degree and drops again.