7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 3:05 PM by rguevara

NUC7i5BNK - HDMI audio problem with WASAPI 44.1/16

catskinner

Running Windows 10Pro 64bit Fall Creator's update connected with an HDMI cable to a DENON receiver. I can't get the NUC7i5BNK to output audio at 44.1/16 using WASAPI.

Things that I already tried:

1. Updating BIOS to ver 0054
      2. Updating HDMI Firmware to 1.72
      3. Updating Graphic driver to 15.60.0.4849_BN
      4. Install software guard extensions 1.8.106.40803
      5. Currently using JRiver Media Center 64bit. Updated to latest version
      6. Tried using TIDAL
      7. Tried to output sound through Windows own audio device properties (advance tab). Selected 16 bit 44100 CD quality

Basically the problem is such: The NUC7i5BNK is not outputting any sound for 2 channels audio at 44.1/16 when using WASAPI. It will output 48/16, 96/24 or even 192/24 (2 channels) but not 44.1. Strangely enough the applications do not detect any fault, even JRiver displays the audio graphs in main window top and the DSP analyzer window.

Switching the output in JRiver to direct sound will return the audio, but then I guess it's because it's being routed through the system audio mixer and probably re-sampled to another frequency.

I have no problems with multi channel PCM audio decoded by JRiver or even DD AC3 pass through. It's just 44.1/16 2 channel audio that refuse to play through HDMI.

I also tried to output the sound through an external USB DAC and it works flawlessly, so obviously it's not an application problem and is clearly restricted to the WASAPI implementation of the HDMI audio driver.

TIA

Claude

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNK - HDMI audio problem with WASAPI 44.1/16
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. We are sorry to hear the NUC is not working properly.

In order to better assist you, please provide the model of the monitor?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNK - HDMI audio problem with WASAPI 44.1/16
            catskinner

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The NUC isn't connected to a monitor. It is linked with the HDMI cable to an DENON 4308ci AVR receiver which in turn is connected to a PIONEER PDP LX-508D plasma display.

It's the same setup - cables and connections,  I had before I swapped the older media PC and I didn't experience any problems before.

TIA

Claude

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNK - HDMI audio problem with WASAPI 44.1/16
              Intel Corporation

: You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing those details. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: NUC7i5BNK - HDMI audio problem with WASAPI 44.1/16
                Intel Corporation

While doing further research on this matter, I just wanted to let you know that there is a new BIOS version for the NUC, it is 0057, please try to install it to try to fix this problem:
                https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005850/mini-pcs.html
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27347/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95061

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: NUC7i5BNK - HDMI audio problem with WASAPI 44.1/16
                  rguevara

Hi :

I have very little experience working with WASAPI, I apologize for that but we usually just work with our plain drivers. Can I ask you how did you enable WASAPI? ...and, is it possible that you disable it in order to test the same scenario?

Did you try the Realtek* audio system? This is just for testing purposes.

• The audio subsystem supports the following features:
                  • Digital microphone array (DMICS) connectors (internal)
                  • Analog line-out/Analog Headphone/Analog Microphone (front panel jack)
                  • Support for 44.1 kHz/48 kHz/96 kHz/192 kHz sample rates on all analog outputs
                  • Support for 44.1 kHz/48 kHz/96 kHz sample rates on all analog inputs

Audio Formats Supported by the HDMI and Type C Interfaces:

• Audio Formats HDMI Type C
                  • AC3 – Dolby* Digital
                  • Dolby Digital Plus
                  • DTS-HD*
                  • LPCM, 176.4kHz/24 bit, 8 channel
                  • Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio* (Lossless Blu-ray Disc Audio Format)

Please let me know more details so that I can work on it.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 6. Re: NUC7i5BNK - HDMI audio problem with WASAPI 44.1/16
                    catskinner

Thank you for your reply/ I'll try to answer the questions.

1. The option to use WASAPI is exposed through the player application. In my case I used Tidal and JRiver Media Center and both enable you to select with which interface to output sound and the option to use either the regular Direct Sound, WASAPI or ASIO (if supported by the driver). With both applications selecting HDMI WASAPI while outputing 44.1/16 audio will result in silence. Switching to Direct Sound restore the audio.
                    2. To check if it was a problem with a specific source I tried playing different FLAC files and also switched to TIDAL to see if this was linked somehow to files residing on the local disk and if the problem persisted when using a streaming service. Same problem was experienced and in all cases the applications behaved normally. Please note that JRiver will display a big error message window if it thinks that the driver can't support the frequency or bit depth. With both applications selecting HDMI Direct Sound instead of WASAPI restored the audio for 44.1/16.
                    3. Interestingly, when using the DSP functions of JRiver, the same files that can't play at 44.1/16 do play when they are up-sampled to 48/16 and played using WASAPI. As a side note the highest quality 2 channel audio files I have are 192/24 and they do play without any problem using HDMI WASAPI.
                    4. The same Denon 4308ci AVR is also attached to other audio sources using different HDMI inputs. I didn't experience problems with them.
                    5. The problem of silence was also experimented when going to the audio device properties through Playback Devices->Playback Tab->Select the HDMI->Properties->Advanced Tab->Select 2 Channels 16 bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and pressing the "Test" button. And again, selecting 16 bit 48000 DVD Quality and pressing the same Rest button will work.
                    6. No, I didn't try the Realtek audio system. I'm not even sure I have the cables needed to link it to my AVR. I did however tried a USB DAC and it worked perfectly.

I know that it may be a problem unique to my setup but what I find interesting is that it is very consistent, system wide and specific to 44.1/16 audio+WASAPI.

I hope this help

Claude

• 7. Re: NUC7i5BNK - HDMI audio problem with WASAPI 44.1/16
                      rguevara

hi catskinner,

We did some testing and had no issues, same NUC, Windows* 10 x64 OS and JRiver* SW and updated driver + latest BIOS. It all works both when either using JRiver and/or form the Playback on devices settings

Could you please check the following:

1. Do you experience the same behavior is the NUC is connected without the AVR.

2. Can you test a different application, instead of JRiver (for instance KODI* or Plex*)?

3. Update the receiver Firmware: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avr4308ci

Thanks,

Ronny G