6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2017 9:25 AM by Intel Corporation

Automatically disabling the built-in display when connecting an external monitor

sahnounz

I have a problem about automatic switch between the built-in display and the external monitor. My machine is an MSI GS63 that runs Intel HD Graphics 630 along with Nvidia GTX1050.

When I connect the external monitor, I must manually set the display to "show only on 2" because the built-in display is not disabled when the lid is closed. You can check the attached screenshot that show both screen even with the lid closed.

The reason I find this weird is that on my other laptop, which is Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon that runs Intel HD graphics 5500, the built-in display is automatically disabled when I close the lid.

I have tried some suggestions like selecting the single display option from Intel Settings. However, even in Intel Settings the active displays list contains the built-in display when the lid is closed.

Another clue is that I can't view BIOS from the external monitor, something that I can do in Lenovo.

I have also tried to disable the Nvidia GTX1050 just to make sure that the HDMI port is on Intel, which is the case eventually.

I have checked another machine (Alienware) with Intel HD Graphics 530 and GTX 980, and its behavior was as expected, no problem at all.

I'm not very sure, but I think that the problem is with the Intel 630 driver or VBIOS.

Any suggestions is very appreciated.