3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 3:36 PM by Intel Corporation

Flashing Flight Controller on the Aero

zameelshaki

Hi all,

I've flashed the Yocto, the BIOS and the FPGA onto the Aero using a bootable USB thumb drive first, and then following the steps laid out in

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup

However, when I changed the directory to where the firmwares of the flight controller is located (cd /etc/aerofc/px4/ and cd /etc/aerofc/ardupilot/) and ran the command to update it (aerofc-update.sh nuttx-aerofc-v1-default.px4 and aerofc-update.sh arducopter-aerofc-v1.px4), it keeps giving me an infinite loop

'Attempting reboot on /dev/ttyS1' along with 'If the board does not respond, unplug and re-plug the USB connector'. 

According to this part of the video posted by Paul, https://youtu.be/e9MLnRbMDHo?t=356 , this is to be expected. But I ran the commands at least five times, the longest

run lasting over an hour. It did not terminate with the same message that Paul got in his video. 

If anyone has any advice on an alternate method, or pointing out a step I may have missed beforehand, I would be very grateful.

Zameel

• 1. Re: Flashing Flight Controller on the Aero
          zameelshaki

I would like to point out that I used the two commands aerofc-force-bootloader-pin.py 1 and aerofc-force-bootloader-pin.py 0 to force the flight stack to go to bootloader.  When I tried checking for the version of my FPGA, BIOS, OS and FC, it returned 'unknown' next to AeroFC firmware version.

• 2. Re: Flashing Flight Controller on the Aero
            RandyK

I'm having the same issue. Unable to update flight-controller firmware.

Calling this:

aerofc-update.sh aerofc-v1_default.px4

loops forever.

I found a work-around but it's extremely time consuming. Hopefully someone has a better solution.

Here's how I work around it: Reprogram the FPGA with the recovery version, update flight controller, then reprogram FPGA back to default.

(I shutdown and restart the drone as a precaution after each step)

Details:

cd /etc/fpga/

jam -aprogram aero-rtf-recovery.jam

cd /etc/px4-fw

cd /etc/fpga/

jam -aprogram aero-rtf.jam

HTH

- Randy

• 3. Re: Flashing Flight Controller on the Aero
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi zameelshaki/RandyK,

There is a fix that will be included in the next software release. In the meantime, flashing the flight stack with the following commands should work.

aerofc-force-bootloader-pin.py 1
              aerofc-force-bootloader-pin.py 0

Regards,
              Jesus