2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 1:23 AM by Liam_1

NUC7i7BNH 3x Display Support

Liam_1

Hi,

We've purchased a NUC7i7BNH and we're trying to use 3 monitors with it based on the assumption in the spec sheet that 3 displays are supported on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit install.

To try and achieve this we've also purchased a Thunderbolt 3 to dual HDMI Adapter from Startech - Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI Adapter - 4K, 30Hz | Video Adapters | StarTech.com United Kingdom as we would prefer to use HDMI monitors over DisplayPort monitors - unless of course this is not technically feasible.

Unfortunately, i'm not getting the results that I initially expected; I always get video on the built-in HDMI port, however I only seem to get a single video output on the Thunderbolt 3 adapter, even if there is no display connected to the built-in port. I'm only ever seeing 2x Generic monitors in device manager.

I don't think it's an issue with the adapter as I've been able to swap the cables over and still see video on the same monitor, but on the other port, however i'll also check in with tech support at Startech to see if there is anything they can suggest in the meantime.

I have tried updating the graphics drivers, installing the Thunderbolt 3 drivers and updating the BIOS.

I've done some digging and this page: https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000025672/graphics-drivers.html  seems to suggest that the graphics card supports 3 monitors and this page: https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005571/mini-pcs.html  suggests that DisplayPort daisy chaining is the only option.

The BIOS for the NUC states that it only looks for a maximum of 2 monitors.

Am I chasing my tail here? Am I limited to 2x HDMI only and can I only use 3 displays via DisplayPort?

Thanks for reading!

• 1. Re: NUC7i7BNH 3x Display Support
          N.Scott.Pearson

While it's certainly true that the processor's graphics engine has support for driving three DP monitor connections, this doesn't mean that a particular system can support three displays. My understanding is that, due to limitations in the USB-C connector implementation in the BN NUC design, only a single display can be driven by this connector. See Setting Up Multiple Displays for the Intel® NUC  for more information.

Sorry,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC7i7BNH 3x Display Support
            Liam_1

Hi Scott,

Thanks for responding! I'd already looked at that link - it's where I had deduced the daisy-chaining of the 3x DP under the Triple Display Configurations section.

If what you're saying is true then it's not worth us investing in 3x DP monitors and appropriate cabling to even attempt this - seemingly monitors with the ability to daisy-chain DP are not as cheap as regular LED HDMI type monitors.

Thanks again