7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2017 12:58 AM by nimshie29

cmos time not set

nimshie29

Hi Intel Forum,

I have just installed a NUC6CAY(H) and receive an error message when booting up "CMOS time not set. Does this mean I need to replace the battery or do I need to reset the time. Please help with both if applicable.

Best regards,

John S

• 1. Re: cmos time not set
          N.Scott.Pearson

It mean you need to go into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) and set the date and time. From power on, press the F2 key to access Visual BIOS...

...S

• 2. Re: cmos time not set
            nimshie29

hhh

• 3. Re: cmos time not set
              nimshie29

Hi Scott,

I went to Visual BIOS/ change time/ System Date and Time.Time and date spot on. Clicked 'set' a few times.

On the RHS of screen there is a message "CMOS' time not set (12)  1/2/2016.

Any suggestions?

JS

• 4. Re: cmos time not set
                N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, there may be an issue with the RTC hardware. Let's go through a full hardware reset process and see if we can fix it. Here's what I want you to do...

1. Disconnect the power cord from the NUC. Press and hold the power button for 10 second. Reconnect the power cord.
                2. Go through the CMOS Clear process. This is documented here: Intel NUC Clearing CMOS.
                3. On a Windows-based PC (not Linux and not MACOS!), format a USB flash disk with the FAT32 file system. Do not use Quick Format (sorry for how long this will take - but do not skip this step!).
                4. Download the latest BIOS file (AY0041.BIO) and copy it onto this USB flash disk.
                5. Do a proper eject of this USB flash disk; don't just yank it out.
                6. Install this BIOS using the Security Jumper-based BIOS Recovery Method. This is documented here: Intel NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions.
                7. Once this completes, power board back on and use F2 key to enter BIOS Setup (the Visual BIOS (VB) program).
                8. Set the date and time (even if it looks right).
                9. Use F9 (followed by Y) to fully reset the BIOS configuration to defaults.
                10. Use F10 (followed by Y) to save this updated configuration and exit VB.
                11. As the NUC reboots, again use F2 to enter VB.
                12. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration (turn off NUMLOCK, change the Boot Order, etc.) that you want for your setup.
                13. Use F10 (followed by Y) to save this updated configuration and exit VB.

Somewhere along the way, the error message about the CMOS Date/Time should have stopped appearing. If it is still appearing, it is likely a hardware issue. In this case, you will need to contact Intel and have them replace your NUC.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 5. Re: cmos time not set
                  nimshie29

Thanks Scott,

The Intel NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions do not apply to NUC6CAYH so I used the method advised in Intel NUC Cleaning CMOS which apparently resets the BIOS to default, then followed your instructions. This did not help.Is there another lot of recovery update instructions that apply to NUC6CAYH? Have I done this correctly please?

Cheers,

John Smith

• 6. Re: cmos time not set
                    lw1948

Hello John,

Scott is right about the Bios recovery instructions. The link from Scott's post points to the right instructions which are applicable also to NUC6CAYH. As you can see, there are two methods to perform bios recovery:

1. Power Button Menu

or

2. with removing Security jumper (as per Scott's advise). I'm attach image with the security jumper location.

If you prefer the easier method (Power Button menu), you should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu. With the USB containing the latest bios file, press F4 and the recovery shall start.

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: cmos time not set
                      nimshie29

Thanks guys,

Seems to be OK now.

Enjoy,

John Smith