5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2018 5:56 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Wake up from sleep mode suddenly not possible

AndreasMP

Dear Friends,

My processor is DX58SO INTEL. My OS is 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). After the latest Autumn update I have a problem with waking from sleep mode, namely, after my desktop goes to "sleep" for a long time (OVERNIGHT) and I try to wake it up, the screen stays black. The “engine” is working. The red LED, which shows the hard disk activity, is continually ON (indicating that the disk is fully loaded). In fact, I see and hear disc drive activity and I believe (not confirmed) that the PC has woken up waiting for my password, but the screen remains black. I cannot see the cursor. Actually, lately, I found out that the problem occurs every other day, when I wake my PC in the morning. If I wake it after a few hours, say 7 hours, it wakes up normally. 

Please note that when I start the pc from cold, it starts normally.

Microsoft Support say that they checked my pc thoroughly and Windows settings are all right. They said that there is probably something wrong with the power settings of BIOS.

I should appreciate your advice, as I could not find the appropriate help from my search, i.e. I cannot understand,

Why and how did it happen? Is it due to Windows Autumn update? Is it a virus (I use Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarebytes)

Is there anything I could I do?

Shall I have to Change processor in the end?

I look forward to any advice.

• 1. Re: Wake up from sleep mode suddenly not possible
          N.Scott.Pearson

Andreas,

First of all, I am sure you are aware of the fact that the DX50SO board is long (long!) past its end-of-life date and long out of interactive support. Secondly, because Intel also exited from the Desktop Boards business, I am sure you are aware of the fact that there have been no resources available to look into compatibility issues for quite a few years. Finally, I am sure that you are also aware that the 1st Generation Core and Xeon processors and the 5 Series chipsets are not supported for Windows 10 (in fact, neither are the 2nd generation Core processors or the 6 Series chipsets). The last version of Windows supported on this board was Windows 7.

Bottom line, there could be - and likely are - Windows 10 compatibility issues in the DX58SO BIOS and they certainly could play a role in the sleep state not working properly. The only thing I can suggest (well, other than returning to Windows 7) is that you ensure that you are running on the latest available BIOS release. As for why this problem only recently appeared, it is likely because Microsoft has been re-writing code right and left and creating these compatibility issues in the process (and worse, when any are uncovered, they just shrug their shoulders and drop support for the environment(s) in which they occur).

I too have a DX58SO system that is still alive and running well under Windows 7. With updated SATA controllers and an SSD, it still has plenty of oomf (though it may be a bit of a power hog doing so). I use it as a backup development machine. I will retire it sometime in the near future. Thoughts on a good home for it?

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Wake up from sleep mode suddenly not possible
            AndreasMP

Dear N. Scott,

First of all, I am sorry for the delay to reply to you.

It was not a pleasant Christmas present what you sent to me, but dum spiro spero.

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very enlightening for me because I can see what is happening. I knew that my Board is obsolete and that there was no assistance from Intel, but I did not realize that things were so bad. At least now, I know that the system may have changed the BIOS boot merit.

Now, may I ask two follow up questions?

1. How I can ensure that my BIOS is up to date? How can I do it? I realize that this is important.
            2. Following my posting, I found out that the Boot merit order was as follows: the first drive was my backup drive (1 TB). The C drive, where my OS is, was 2nd in the merit order. I changed the order and the PC, now, behaves normally, namely, it wakes up in 15 to 60 seconds to load after Sleep. Now, I wonder if the merit order may have some effect on wake up from sleep. Alternatively, does the merit order affect the startup time of the PC only when starting from cold? On the other hand, could it not have any effect, at all, on starting times? In other words, how is Boot order related to startup from cold and sleep?

I am sorry if my queries are awkward for guru like you, but I am certain you understand that the replies are extremely interesting for the rest of us!

I look forward to your advice.

Regarding retirement, my comments are that, firstly, it is a pity that people with such useful knowledge have to retire and, secondly, for the place: why not try Cyprus. Please do not charge me for trying to locate it!

Best regards,

Andreas

• 3. Re: Wake up from sleep mode suddenly not possible
              N.Scott.Pearson
              1. Latest available BIOS can be found on the downloads page for the board. The latest version is 5600. Here is link to product page: Downloads for Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO and here is link to BIOS download page: Download BIOS Update [SOX5810J.86A]. If you download the Express BIOS Update package (i.e. the file named SOX5810J.86A.5600.EB.EXE), you can start the BIOS update process from within Windows. Right-click on the downloaded file and then choose Run as Administrator. It will automatically shutdown Windows and start the BIOS Update process. When it is done, it should restart Windows and then tell you of its success.
              2. If you are in the Sleep (S3) state, the BIOS quickly restores the hardware state and then the OS is resumed (this process typically take only a second or two). If you are in the Hibernate (S4) or Shutdown (S5) states, the BIOS will perform full POST (Power-On Self-Test) processing. For the Hibernate (S4) state, it then loads the previous memory contents from the disk file where it was saved, restores the hardware state and then resumes the OS. For the Shutdown (S5) state, it then goes into the BOOT process. Only in this last case does the Boot Order actually come into play.

Pity for whom? From my standpoint, I was ready to retire.

...S

• 4. Re: Wake up from sleep mode suddenly not possible
                AndreasMP

Dear N.Scott,

I am sorry for my late response. I thank you very much for the comprehensive reply.

Regarding your reply 2, I can only assume, now, that the delay in start up from Sleep Mode was not attributed to the order of the drives. I would venture to assume that it was caused by some Microsoft updates which were trying to be downloaded to my PC without success for a long time. But I am not certain at all!  I should clarify that the problem started on around 25 October and was happening every day until the day when changed the BOOT order of the drives in the BIOS. So, the matter is still a mystery for me!

Regarding, the BIOS update, I have read the instructions in the websites, where you have directed me, but must admit that I am a coward! I dare not carry out the operations. The PC is now working normally (and as I have said above, I do not know how) so I would prefer not to change things.

Of course, if there is a an easy way to check whether the BIOS needs an update, that would be a more attractive operation for me. Therefore, is there a way for risk avert people to do it?

• I should appreciate your help, hoping that you are not bored with me.

Regarding my comment for your retirement, I should insist that people with knowledge and experience like yours should keep going on!

Best regards,

Andreas

• 5. Re: Wake up from sleep mode suddenly not possible
                  N.Scott.Pearson

I understand your nervousness. If you do not want to try installing the latest BIOS update, then don't. Remember though that you started this conversation reporting a problem that very well might be fixed in a later BIOS version. If you don't try the latest BIOS, then you will be stuck with the problem you reported. Your choice...

If you have Intel Desktop Utilities installed, you can bring up its display and see the BIOS version. Alternatively, you can use F2 at the Splash Screen to enter BIOS Setup. It will tell you the BIOS version as well.

...S