Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC 8265 Desktop WiFi - DOA or Driver Issue?

ZCutt
Beginner

In short, my card is not showing up in the drivers list in Windows Device Manager and it does not show up as a hidden device either. It is encased in an adapter that connects to the motherboard's PCIe x1 slot, along with a wire connecting to the USB hub for Bluetooth. It is correctly seated, but the only thing I see is a indicator light on the adapter saying it is supposedly getting power. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Intel drivers. I'm just wondering if I am missing something or I need to DOA this chip? It's a brand new chip and I was using a wireless Intel Centrino before, I just really wanted the upgrade! I had that Centrino sitting around until I found this AC 8265.

System Specs (home build):

Windows 10 64 bit

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-GamingK7

CPU AMD Ryzen 1800x

WiFi Adapter Case: Fenvi FV8802

Let me know if there is more information needed please.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

ZacharyC,

We understand your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit is not showing in Device Manager nor in Hidden Devices. Make sure the BIOS us running the latest firmware and confirm with the Gigabyte* if the adapter is connected to the correct slot. Please take a look at this guide for additional support: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024408/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Integration Guide for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit

Best regards,

Aleki
ZCutt
Beginner

Aleki,

Yes, I know how to install it. However I found it very interesting how it works on a totally separate system. Windows 7 seems to recognize it upon installing drivers and that build is at least 3 years old and is also an Intel build. It seems to me it is a drivers issue. I will be contacting the Gigabyte corporation help forums, like you suggested, to see about compatibility.

Thanks,

ZacharyC

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ZacharyC,

Please, keep us posted in case you need our assistance.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ZacharyC,

Upon further review we noticed that you're using the Fenvi FV8802 New Desktop Wireless Adapter*. Please bear in mind this is not the same as the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit.

While inside of this PCIe card you will find an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, and the same drivers should work, this adapter is not directly supported by us. Our best recommendation in this case will be to test the adapter in a different slot, or if possible in a different computer. If it's still not detected, you will need to contact your place of purchase as soon as possible for a replacement, if applicable.

While http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005559.html drivers are required for full functionality, your adapter should still show up on device manager without them.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ZCutt
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, I did send it in for an RMA today. I hope the replacement card becomes recognized.

I tried everything it seems.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ZacharyC,

The requirements for these type of adapters are generally very low (PCIe x1, plus an available USB port or header, usually) although they may vary by vendor. Because of this, it's most likely that you received a defective unit.

If the replacement works, or you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MBian3
Beginner

Maybe the problem comes on router that uses same SSID for both type of cards i've found a solution adding "5G" to the SSID and choosing that for connection using this laptop

Maybe it switch to both cards if SSID is the same caused by continous roaming

0 Kudos
ZCutt
Beginner

Just a little update, the RMA was successful, I get the new chip this coming Tuesday.

Thanks for the responses, I'll keep everyone posted.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ZacharyC,

Glad to hear. We'll look forward to your next update.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ZCutt
Beginner

Bad news everyone, the new one, same story. This is terrible and I cannot think of anything to do. Like I said, everything is connected correctly. I attached a picture of what devices show up in the device manager. I also contacted the Fenvi customer support, but I don't think they will be of any help.

Thanks,

ZacharyC

0 Kudos
ZCutt
Beginner

Here is the picture, sorry.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ZacharyC,

Looking at your motherboard, you should be able to install this adapter on any one of it's six PCIe slots.

Have you tried a different slot? It's OK to use one that is longer than the adapter.

I've seen odd scenarios where the adapter is installed properly, but once you screw the bracket to the case, it results in the adapter becoming misaligned in the slot. Perhaps you could test by leaving it unscrewed, but only for testing, as you wouldn't want the adapter falling off while your PC is running.

Another thing worth considering might be the PCIe bandwidth sharing note listed in your motherboard's manual. Although it doesn't mention any slot becoming disabled when X or Y is in use, it might be worth consulting with Gigabyte* on this.

Best regards,

Carlos A
0 Kudos
ZCutt
Beginner

Hello Carlos A,

Well, I managed to get the Bluetooth working. I was using Ethernet to get internet, not very convenient as I had to move the PC to a different area in the house, and got the Bluetooth connection to work via device detection/driver download through Windows device manager. So far I have contacted "Gigabyte eSupport" and it has been 3 days and the ticket has not been read. Let's hope they have something to say too.

Thanks.

ZacharyC

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ZacharyC,

Although no further actions can be taken from our side, please do update us if your motherboard manufacturer is able to provide a resolution as to why the adapter will work but not while installed in that particular computer. This may help other users experiencing similar problems.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JJIM3
Beginner

Hello

if it can reassure you

I meet the same problem as you with the same motherboard as you.

fenvi 8802 instaled

pci all at the top of the motherboard

the bluetooth is detect but not the wifi

he just detects wan miniport.

the fenvi is good

I do not know what it's like with this motherboard and win 10

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jimbaristo,

Thanks for posting. This confirms there might be a compatibility limitation between the adapter and the motherboard or the operating system.

Just for testing, could please perform a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html clean wireless driver installation using the drivers provided by Fenvi*. They can be http://en.fenvi.com/en/download_zx.php downloaded here.

NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos