9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 9:04 AM by Kronah

DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue

sammy

I just upgraded my MB to a DG45ID MB Q6600 (SLACR) and installed 2x 1.5Tb HDD and 2x 750Gb HDD that I am trying to set up in RAID1 using win7 Ultimate x64.

My intention is to make a 100Gb system (C) partition and use the remainder of the 1.5tb drive as a Data partition (D). Then make one Data partition (E) on the 750gb drive. All raid1.

I updated to the most recent BIOS 0127 (released last month)

I activate RAID in the Boot Settings in the BIOS and create my 3 volumes after rebooting into Intel Storage Matrix mgr.

I add the Sata RAID driver (64bit ver) and Install Win7 ultimate x64. (Its almost impossible to use the wrong sata driver in win7 installs)

It goes through the entire installation. I add a user and pick a time zone etc. But when it is all done, and after the final reboot, it just hangs with a blinking cursor.

I have used the newest RAID drivers from Intel.

I used the ones from the floppy that came with the MB

I have tried 32bit version RAID1 installs

Performed 32 bit non-RAID install (AHCI mode)

Performed installs with

both Enabling and disabling Intel Rapid Recover Technology in BIOS

64bit install in IDE mode also does not work.

I used a DVD to install and also installed off a USB flash drive (both medias have worked on other installs.)

When using the x64 RAID drivers, I got a warning (or something) about installing unsigned 64 bit drivers is not supported and might result in an unusable Installation. However, it did not say if I had a problem. They seemed to install and I am assuming that Intel would have signed drivers.

Also, when a RAID setup attempt is all done, I see this in the Storage Matrix Manager during startup.

* Data Is Encrypted which I am not sure what this means or why it happened. Never saw that in any win2003 RAID installs I have done.

On every install I re-create the partitions in diskpart at the time of install. This helps to avoid the 100mb microsoft partition which I would rather not have. But have tried it with it too.

I removed the video card just in case there was some weird conflict.

In the end, disabling core multiplexing allowed it to fully boot. I can't believe it was that and what am I going to do with the awesome system I just put together with half of the cores working???

Intel, Please fix this! Is there something with the MB and proc combination? Or is it a BIOS with Problems? Or Both? This is the only BIOS rev available now that supports win7 for this MB.

• 1. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
          Flying_Kiwi

I have installed the 64 bit version of Win 7 on my DG45ID without any of the problems you've referred to. I also just used the installation DVD all the way (there's no need to use any seperate RAID drivers etc with Win 7 as it's built into the OS). Whoever told you that 127 is the only Win 7 compatible BIOS has misinformed you. If you take it all along to a computer shop (incl your official Windows 7 media), they should be able to analyse the setup and work out what is actually to blame for all the issues you seem to be experiencing. BIOS 127 does have its issues but these aren't them!

• 2. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
            sammy

It's nice to know that your set-up is working normally.  There is nothing wrong with the install.  BTW, ver 0127 IS the only one listed on the intel site that specifically says it is win7 compliant.

Seems there are more people that have a simlilar issue.

Is anyone from Intel monitoring these threads that might have something to add?

• 3. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
              Flying_Kiwi

I didn't mention it's working fine on mine just to rub things in I hasten to add, I mentioned it because I know these problems aren't caused by the BIOS - it's not a BIOS issue despite your BIOS related observations and seeking to blame the BIOS would be barking up the wrong tree. I say this to try and help you get your focus where it should be, checking other aspects of your hardware and setup. It takes a trained professional to do this properly so if you haven't personally undertaken any detailed training as a computer technician, then it would be best to enlist the help of someone who has who can check things like your PSU output, cabling, configuration and general build to find the real culprit. Sometimes this can be a very illusive thing to spot!

The reason why 127 is the only one that has Win 7 mentioned on the download page is because in between the last release and this one, win 7 came along so the installer is designed with this in mind. Clearly, without an official gold/release version of Win 7 out and about when previous BIOSs were released, Intel couldn't say they've been tested with Win 7. You'll notice that among the OSs it also mentions 'OS Independant' and this is because, unlike drivers, BIOSs do tend to be, to a very large degree, exactly that. If a revolutionary OS comes out with support for a new feature then the BIOSs may eventually include support for that feature (if it didn't get there first) but in this case to think that BIOS 127 is the only one that should be used on a Win 7 system is wrong, people should use the latest one that's most reliable with their setup/hardware and if it works as-is, leave it alone. In an ideal world this would be the newest version fullstop but sometimes workarounds for identified issues with hardware or patches for some issues end up causing new and more significant problems that slip through, which weren't there in older versions.

• 4. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
                Kronah

I know this post is old but I just bought a DG45ID and I tried to install Windows 7 64bit on it and it won't load the DVD.

I was able to install Windows 7 32 bit without a hitch.

I am lost. It doesn't make sense to my why it won't parse the boot record for 64 Bit off the Retail 64 bit Installation DVD and it will the 32 bit installation DVD.

I'm using the last available BIOS....

It should be able to load the DVD, it just doesn't want to.

I made a Windows PE amd64 disc. Same deal. The 64bit instructions won't work?

Anyone have any idea why not?

I've got a Q9650 and 8GB of RAM, Asus BC-1205PT Blu-Ray disc drive, all should be well. Others have used the drive to install various 64 bit systems including Windows 7.

There is no reason for the boot failure message and yet, it won't load the 64 bit instructions into the RAM.

My only guess is that I'm using a wireless usb keyboard and that could be pre-loading 32bit code?

I'll try it right now without any usb plugged in and see if that helps, otherwise I have no clue...

• 5. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
                  ivanu_intel

Is the DVD recognized in the BIOS?

Go to the BIOS and press F9 on your keyboard to set the BIOS to defaults settings and if you are using SATA cables make sure that you have the SATA mode in AHCI mode and not IDE then try to install the operating system again?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
                    Kronah

Thanks for the tips.

I've reset twice and set ACHI and UEFI and made sure that the CD has a chance to boot. My guess is that some of the hardware drivers have caused it to stick in 32 bit mode. I remember a long time ago when we switched from 16 to 32 and had the same problem.

I'm going to have to take everything out, format the drive on another machine, and reset the board manually and do a bare bones completely clean install and cross my fingers that's what it actually is. I'm going to do it in a few days, so I'll post if it is successful or not.

• 7. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
                      ivanu_intel

That will be great and if you could let us know I will appreciate it.

• 8. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
                        Kronah

Alright, it took me 12 hours but I rebuilt the machine.

There is no doubt that there are some issues with the BIOS/EFI handling in tandem with the I/O functionality.

I'm sure much of these issues are fixed in the boards that have come since this one. UEFI was brand new to consumers at the time this board was made and this board is BIOS centered rather than UEFI based with backward compatibility.

I found In this board for some reason coded preferences are 'sticky', as if in the boards automated processes the preferences set in the BIOS are taken under advisement and implemented only if the board can set it without failing. it does not like to revert or change without some major physical action being taken which allows the boards automation to make the necessary changes.

This board with the latest BIOS looks for a boot source immediately and sets a lot of functionality in the board with the type of boot source it finds. This wouldn't be a problem on a perfectly clean install but since there is no BIOS 'reset' function internally but rather a 'load optimal defaults' based on what was and what is currently plugged into the board it makes upgrading I/O hardware and operating system types exceptionally challenging given one cannot force the board to do anything with the BIOS interface.

Fortunately there is comprehensive USB support built into the board and this BIOS version which apparently run under a separate automation and allows the board to change configuration with what it detects in the USB so long as there is no other I/O plugged in.

Thus I found my solution for upgrading from 32 bit Windows 7 to 64 bit Windows 7 with EFI boot without having to recover the board.

1. Go into the BIOS and load optimal defaults, ensure the video is set to auto.

2. Pull everything off the mainboard but the CPU, RAM, a basic standard corded USB keyboard and monitor plugged into the mainboard, no SSD or HDD, no cards, no BD/DVD Rom Drive, nothing else. (Be sure to power completely down first)

3. Go into the BIOS and load optimal defaults again save, reboot and power down once unable to find boot source.

4. If adding a new video card as part of this conversion this is the point to add it now.

5. If video still comes from mainboard instead of video card, go into BIOS and load optimal defaults save exit and power down. Pull the video card out and re-seat it. This may take a couple try's.

6. Upon successful video preference go into BIOS and plug in boot source through USB, then select load optimal defaults, be sure that USB boot is enabled, if planning on using UEFI go now over and enable UEFI as a boot option if not enabled and be sure that <F10> select boot source option on boot is also enabled, save custom defaults, save and exit and cycle through.

7. With the boot source plugged into the USB upon boot, if planning on using UEFI select <F10> on boot and select the internal EFI to boot and it will reboot in EFI mode, the boot source will read through USB if there is nothing else plugged in. (If Internal EFI was selected in the <F10> boot menu and the boot source supports efi, then what you are booting should load in EFI mode)

From here everything is standard operating procedure.

My notes,

* I had to plug the BD Rom drive in through a USB bridge in order for it to read 64bit boot instructions from the BD Rom drive when the board is in BIOS mode.

* The board fails to offer internal EFI as a boot option even when the UEFI boot option is enabled unless it detects a I/O EFI boot source to follow.

* When there is no other boot source the a USB boot source will boot even if booting from USB is disabled in the BIOS.

* In 32 bit mode intel graphics yeild to a video card in the PCIe bus; in 64 bit mode intel graphics fail to yeild without cycling through reseating the card and loading defaults repeatedly.

* Hard Disks set the board function and override all other functionality, if there is a primary MBR type hard disk plugged in, it will not load EFI functionality in the board.

Additionally,

After I got the 64 bit Windows PE for Windows 7 disk to boot in efi mode I was able to hot plug the primary SSD and use diskpart to clean the disk and convert the disk from MBR to GPT as well as boot the 64 bit Windows 7 installation medium in efi mode as well and install the UEFI 64 bit version of Windows 7 on the SSD.

I then put the BD Rom drive back and plugged in through the SATA port, updated to Windows 7 SP1 online and after updated the chipset drivers and all intel drivers and programs, then the video card and video drivers.

I had actually added the video card after the install which I found to be a pain in the *** and highly recommend following Intel's recommendation to install the video card of choice prior to installing the OS, but I wanted to install all the intel drivers including the graphics on the OS to see if it made a difference in performance since the intel graphics bridge will still be in use and include audio porting, so to avoid driver conflicts the drivers are loaded into the efi just in case the OS or the board need them as they are physically working in the background even though they are not primary devices. I turned the on board audio off and set the video to PCIe in the BIOS after switching to the video card because it had HDMI as well and I don't want HDMI driver conflicts.

I then added each piece of hardware one at a time and installed the drivers for them.

Final thoughts,

Everything is working fine except windows update, but I have a full install of Windows 7 Ultimate which doesn't play well with windows update for some reason, but the board is working great now.

The BD Rom is plugged back into the SATA port and functioning normally after the install.

I have to say that the EFI mode on the board using Windows 7 64 bit in UEFI mode is remarkably fast when an external video card is in use in the PCIe port.

I've never seen programs install as fast as they have on this board. I have a newer asus/intel core i5 laptop with intel ssd running windows 10 pro 64bit and this older desktop now blows it away, a pleasant surprise.

It took some work but I figured this DG45ID board out and how to leverage it. It's a good board with a crap BIOS interface. I did find though that the board makes a weird high pitch noise every now and again so I fear that it will eventually give way to whatever it causing it. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

• 9. Re: DG45ID Win7 install problems - BIOS Issue
                          Kronah

Oh yeah I switched to a wireless usb keyboard with trakpad once I got the 64 bit DVD working through usb bridge so I could use the pointer in windows PE and windows 7 install.

So like I said comprehensive USB support in the lastest BIOS for this board.