3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2017 6:02 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Mobile 965 chipset driver, extended mode issue in Win10 Creators update

JDomo

After auto update to windows 10 fall creators update the extended screen mode doesn't remain set nor does it enable properly at first.

the Dell Inspiron 1525 (32bit)  has a mobile Intel express 965 CHipset.  The driver that was loaded (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1 )

Driver version 8.15.10.2697 provided by Intel published by Microsoft.

The Inspiron has a VGA port which on my system connects to a HP-LA2405 1920/1200 monitor.

Since displays were working before the Windows 10 Fall creators update, I believe the update tossed out the original Vista driver and put the one mentioned above in its place.

Symptom:

On boot monitor not enabled.

Using Display manager : MultipleDisplay mode:

If I choose "extend these displays" the external monitor will do nothing.

If I choose to Duplicate then the external monitor does as expected.

If I change form duplicate to extended the external monitor does as expected. and all works fine.

BUT

After reboot all setting is lost and I must go through the process of duplicate then extend again.

Is there a workaround or script to maintain this setting?

Should I go back and load the vista driver?

Or is this a Windows 10 OS  issue and would retreating to an earlier OS version get extended monitor function back?

PS: Intel inspection and driver update utility found nothing.

-------------------------------------------

UPDATE:  Worked with Microsoft support person who forced the re-installation of the updated driver published by Microsoft, despite the the "you have the best already installed" response from the wizard.

Use device manager to get to the driver's properties. Choose the Driver tab and update driver button,    Then Browse for driver,  Then "Let me pick from list"   The list should show

Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family ( Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1 )  

choose it  it move on to re-install the driver.

the display settings window then worked and retained the extended display mode and monitor's resolution settings through a restart.

in response to skeptics: Windows 10 Pro version 1703 is running fine on a Dell Inspiron 1525.  32bit  Intel Pentium Dual @ 2GHz with 3GB RAM.

My wife uses it for routine browsing, document/spreadsheet editing and email.  It started with Vista and has migrated from 8 to 10 Pro.

The VGA port is supporting a 1920x1200 HP_LA2405wg monitor as well as the laptop screen.

• 1. Re: Mobile 965 chipset driver, extended mode issue in Win10 Creators update
          Al Hill

The 965 chipset is NOT supported on WIndows 10.  Also, your processor is not supported on Windows 10.

Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products   (look way down the page under "legacy")

Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10?

Doc

• 2. Re: Mobile 965 chipset driver, extended mode issue in Win10 Creators update
            JDomo

Windows 10 Pro version 1703 is running fine on our Dell Inspiron 1525.  32bit  Intel Pentium Dual @ 2GHz with 3GB RAM.

My wife uses it for routine browsing, document/spreadsheet editing and email.  It started with Vista and has migrated from 8 to 10 Pro.

The VGA port is supporting a 1920x1200 HP_LA2405wg monitor as well as the laptop screen.

The hard disk was replaced with an SSD but other than that it is standard issue.

Thanks for reading my issue Al.  Maybe the documents claim only the platforms MS does verification on.

I'm not suggesting that anyone else should run out a buy a 10year old computer, but I am typing this reply on our Dell without issue or delay.

• 3. Re: Mobile 965 chipset driver, extended mode issue in Win10 Creators update
              N.Scott.Pearson

The fact that a processor or board/chipset is not supported does not mean that Windows 10 won't run; it means that it won't run well. By "won't run well", I mean that only the compatibility drivers are available to support the system being used. This means that graphics performance will not be optimal. This means that disk performance will not be optimal. This means that, well, you should be starting to get the picture. Now, for some usage models - especially simple ones like browsing, editing and email, you may not notice any issues at all. Try gaming and you will start to see the non-optimal performance rear its ugly head.

Ok, back to your issue. In addition to everything else, the Fall Creator's Update has introduced all sorts of changes - and some of these changes have new requirements that many legacy systems cannot meet. What happens then? Well, some are so bad that Microsoft has stopped supporting those platforms completely (and installer will tell you so). Others are best effort. That is, if it works, great, but if it doesn't, well, don't use the features that generate anomalies.

I wish I had a better answer, but this is the reality of the situation.

...S

P.S. The new Driver and Support Assistant does not have all the data it needed to support systems as old as yours. Don't use it.