8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2010 11:05 AM by david.stumph

SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup

david.stumph

I have two SE7520AF2 motherboards which both show power going to the board and the fans spin up, but when power is sent to the board without pressing the power button, I recieve three beeps and I have RGGG Diagnostic lights that indicate that the BIOS needs to be configured. the SYS FLT light is solid green which, as indicated by the technical product specification document is a "normal" status.

I have tried hooking up a floppy drive with the BIOS on disc, but there is no floppy seek, placing the BIOS IMAGE on CD and inserting into the cdrom tray spins up the CD but doesnt sound like its loading files (i know its a bootable disc as I burned from ISO), and there is never any video displayed using the internal video port on both motherboards. I cant see a post, bios errors, or anything!

the motherboards did not power on until I cleared the CMOS by pulling the battery. after that every time I give the mobo power the fans spin up and I get the beep codes and diag lights.

if this is the bios needing loaded, is this standard on the SE7520AF2 motherboard? How do I perform this "Execute Bios Setup" as indicated by the TPS?

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

I will need more information in order to be able to help you.

CPU1:
          =====
          Model:
          SL No:

Chassis Model:
          PBA No:

Memory Model:

Did you connect the CPU power connector (2X8)?
          Does the system boot with one cpu into the bios?
          What is the bios version, bmc version, sdr version?
          Bios:
          BMC:
          SDR:

Once i have these information, i will try to see for more possibilities.

Kind Regards,
          Aryan

• 2. Re: SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup
            david.stumph

CPU1:
            =====
            Model:
            SL No:

SL7ZE

3.20 GHz

800 MHz

90 nm

N0

2 MB

604-pin micro-PGA

Tried swapping the CPU's around into slot one by themselves. currently both CPU's are in

Chassis Model: Whitebox Tower
            PBA No:

I have 2 Motherboards:

C47886-703

C47886-603

Memory Model: Kingston 2GB DDR2 400 Mhz totalling 8 GB   2 DIMMS in BANK 1 and 2 (1a, 1b, 2a, 2b)

Did you connect the CPU power connector (2X8)? - Yes
            Does the system boot with one cpu into the bios? No. None of the CPU FLT LED's are lit until I remove the CPU

What is the bios version, bmc version, sdr version? - I cannot tell any of this information as nothing is displayed on the screen when power is fed to the boards

Is it located anywhere on a sticker?

there was a silver sticker that had AMIBIOS A35 7850 and A36 4610

Bios:?
            BMC:?
            SDR:?

hope this helps

• 3. Re: SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup
              Aryan2411

Hello David,

Since you are getting 3 beeps with memory fitted, it could be due to memory. So i would check if your memory is on the tested and validated list.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/se7520af2/sb/se7520af2_memlist_rev_51.pdf

Secondly, since you are not using a tested chassis, which in turn means that you dont have a tested power supply, it is difficult for me to say whether the power supply is providing the required current/voltage to the board. You can check on the TPS of the board and TPS of a tested chassis for the requirement of the PSU.

If i were you, i would start by these first and then try to test the board out of the chassis. Power on the board using a screwdriver and short circuit the correct pin. Please refer to the TPS for more information on which pins you need to use.

Let us know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Aryan

• 4. Re: SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup
                david.stumph

Since you are getting 3 beeps with memory fitted, it could be due to memory. So i would check if your memory is on the tested and validated list.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/se7520af2/sb/se7520af2_memlist_rev_51.pdf

OK. Here is what is Listed under the link you provided that are similar to mine:

Kingston KVR400D2D8R3/2GI MT47H128M8HQ-3 rev

E Micron 2025302-

001.A00 na 4/17/07 Yes (128Mx8)

Kingston KVR400D2D4R3/2GI E5104AHSE-6E-E rev

H Elpida 2025292-

001.C00 na 5/4/07 Yes (128Mx4)

*36 x4SR

SO, essentially, my memory is not on the list, BUT I have KVR400D2E3/2G, which is confusing to me as these sticks are as follows KINGSTON, 2GB PC2-3200 DDR2 400MHz CL3 SDRAM DIMM, ECC Unbuffered. This is exactly what the TPS calls for!

"The Intel® Server Board SE7520AF2 main memory subsystem was designed to support Double Data

Rate2 (DDR2) 400-MHz Registered ECC Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory (SDRAM).

Other industry naming conventions for DDR2-400 include PC23200 "

I am not exactly sure what base memory is, but this is what the TPS indicates as 3 beeps. Would this really indicate a RAM issue?

If I HAD to purchase new memory I would, but I have a feeling that I may have the same issue....

Secondly, since you are not using a tested chassis, which in turn means that you dont have a tested power supply, it is difficult for me to say whether the power supply is providing the required current/voltage to the board. You can check on the TPS of the board and TPS of a tested chassis for the requirement of the PSU.

If i were you, i would start by these first and then try to test the board out of the chassis. Power on the board using a screwdriver and short circuit the correct pin. Please refer to the TPS for more information on which pins you need to use.

I am using a PSU OCZ|OCZ600MXSP 600W RT   24pin PSU with an 8pin PSU connector. both are plugged in. removed the board from the chasis and placed on a non conductive surface (laminate counter) and the same thing happens. beeps and diag lights. the funny thing is, I dont even need to try to short the power on pins. the system just fires up as soon as i flip the power switch on the PSU.  I dont get video so I cant see if I am getting BIOS errors!

Let us know how it goes.

• 5. Re: SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup
                  david.stumph

I am pretty confident that the PSU is OK

Note:  I pulled the memory from the system. Just the board and CPU's

I get the same DIAG's and Beep codes. So this could really be a memory issue?

could you explain the base memory error in more detail?\

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup
                    david.stumph

Rajiv,

I have (1) 1GB KVR400D2D4R3  stick of memory coming in.

I will give it a try and let you know the results. Thanks again for your help.

• 7. Re: SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup
                      Aryan2411

Hello David,

Note: There is a difference between KVR400D2D4R3/2GI and KVR400D2D4R3 memory model.

The 'I' notation indicates that Intel, these model have been validated by Intel and have some special chip on them.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Aryan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: SE7520AF2 - Execute BIOS setup
                        david.stumph

Rajiv,

Received the replacement KVR400D2D4R3 memory Friday. This stick was not Intel certified, but as soon as I gave the PSU power the system fired up and booted into the BIOS. Appreciate the suggestion to verify the certified memory list. It totally slipped my mind. I have found KVR400D2D4R3/2GI sticks of memory for a good price and will be acquiring four those.

I awarded your above suggestion to check the list and PSU as the correct answer.

Thanks Rajiv.