Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7-7700K I broke 2 x capacitor (delidding) it still works WHY ? ? ? + IMAGE

LFish1
Beginner

So , I just delidded my I7-7700K and when i take photos a open cpu i dropped my phone on him ( IMAGE at the down )

And unfortunately i destroyed 2 x capasitor ,they dropped out of the cpu

I was thinking he (cpu) died completely but it works

And even works OC 5.0 ghz

Question , can someone who knows what these capacitors are ,what are they doing ?

Please explain

How its possible its work?

Thank you very much ! ! !

LukasStone.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

LukasStone: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Processors communities and for providing the picture. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

In regard to your question, it is hard to tell exactly the reason why the processor is still working, we had some similar cases where the processor does not work at all, sometimes it works fine, and some other times it works, but depending on the functionality that those pins had, it might not work properly or certain features will just not work.

In reference to the specific functionality of those capacitors, that information is confidential, and if by any chance is available, we will need for you to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). If you are interested in doing that, please let me know.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
LFish1
Beginner

Dear Alberto R

Thank you very much for your answer to my question

Im still very stressed out that something is wrong in my CPU

Because i noticed in some games that i play i have strange drop fps , graphic jumps from 20 fps to 100 fps

Before this same game in the old my pc i did not have this problem

LukasStone

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

LukasStone: Thank you very much for letting us know that information. I sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

LukasStone: I just received an update in this matter, Due to this physical damage we do not recommend using that CPU anymore. The capacitors are meant to withhold electrical current that the internal circuitry needs for specific logic gates out of the billions in the die itself, and the continued usage of this CPU compromises the entire system stability.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos