3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2017 2:22 PM by Intel Corporation

eDP specs of a N2830 Bay Trail SoC

NoneNeeded

Hi.

I'm interested in modifying cheap SoC-based laptops and possibly making/refurbishing some myself.

I have a thing for chromebooks form-factor and I'm eagerly waiting for Gemini Lake to finally build myself what I want.

As a starting point I'm going to modify my Asus C300M chromebook that runs on a Celeron N2830 SoC (as it's screen is failing anyway and installing a FHD IPS instead of a WXGA TN is just too tempting).

Therefore I post here as SoCs, judging by several replies I found on this forum, are supported here.

I do understand that installing displays other than identical to provided in the model lineup is heavily discouraged both by laptop and generic display manufacturers.

I do not understand, why exactly and I'm willing to learn.

I fully accept that the responsibility for following any advice with consequences including, but not limited to irrepairable device and monitor damage, electric fires and burns, is solely my own.

Also I do understand SoCs with such additions can't be used outside of a test environment (unless I become a certified engineer, which is unlikely) and absolutely can't be loaned, sold or used in any other commercial capacity.

That said (no, I do really absolve you of any consequences, you don't bear any responsibility for my decisions or actions) I have a slew of questions:

1) Where can I find N2830 SoC specs including eDP version? It's probably 1.3, but I want to know for sure.

2) Does the manufacturer of a laptop on this particular SoC have control over how many eDP lanes will be enabled? As there are FHD laptops on N2830, the SoC itself surely supports FHD.

3) Is it possible to lookup current eDP configuration from Linux or any other OS?

4) Am I correct in my assumption that if I have at least two lanes enabled and assuming lack of vendor lock-in (like Dell does on certain laptops) an LCD LED screen with the connector with the same number of pins will just work?

5) Are TN and IPS displays with the same connector electrically identical or it is not always the case?

Also, is there anything that I haven't mentioned that makes it a foolish idea not worth pursuing?

Thank you.