1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2017 4:32 PM by Bob_B

Is NUC7i5 Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort possible

ChrisL3

I've been using NUC6i5SYK to drive 3 DP displays via StarTech MSTMDP123DP. It works brilliantly. NUC6i5SYK is now getting hard to find, so I'm planning to switch to NUC7i5BNK and StarTech TB32DP2 but it appears the even though the tech spec for the NUC7i5BNK says it supports 3 displays, the Intel Thunderbolt 3 does not appear top support multi monitor - but I'm seeing conflicting information on the web so would like to know:

1) Is there any way I can drive 2 monitors out of Thunderbolt 3 on NUC7I5BNK other than just daisy chained cloned screens?

2) Is there a software or firmware update planned to add this capability?

3) Will the gen 8 equivalent support this capability?

4) Am I missing something? This seems to be a backward step.

• 1. Re: Is NUC7i5 Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort possible
          Bob_B

Each system manufacturer has discretion when designing their Thunderbolt 3 systems as to how many DisplayPort video outputs are routed out via a single Thunderbolt 3 port, however their documentation as to the specific capabilities each system offers is often not clear.

Some manufacturers like Dell and Apple support two displays via a single Thunderbolt 3 port, however in my experience no currently available Intel NUC with Thunderbolt 3 can drive two displays via a single Thunderbolt 3 port. The currently available Intel NUCs are limited to one display only via their Thunderbolt 3 ports. Most recently confirmed on the seventh generation Intel NUC7i7BNH with a Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Dual Display HDMI Adapter (TBT3-HDMI2X-83). Full disclosure, I work for Plugable Technologies.

If you connect a Thunderbolt 3 Dual Display adapter to one of the currently available Intel NUCs with Thunderbolt 3, only one of the adapter's two outputs will work. This is an internal system limitation (not a limitation of the adapter) and this behavior cannot be altered via firmware or software.