2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 7:33 AM by Intel Corporation

Enable RST in BIOS after installing in AHCI mode

jazzoslav

TLDR;

Windows 10 fails to boot when I enable RAID in BIOS. Please tell me how to install the "iastor" driver properly.

Steps to recreate:

1. Install Windows 10 with the AHCI drivers to a hard drive

2. Do whatever (for 6 months +)

3. Install RSP drivers and software from the vendor (ASUS)

4. reboot

6. Enable RAID in BIOS

7. Configure two drives in stripe mode (unrelated to windows-system-drive)

8. Boot

What I expect:

I can boot the system and access my windows-system-drive as if nothing hat changed.

I can configure or format the newly created raid-0 with windows tools.

What actually happens:

Reboot at the  INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen

--------------------------------------

I get the notorious INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error message when I try to boot after changing "sata selection mode" from AHCI -> RAID in the BIOS.

The supplier of my motherboard lists a dated version of the software (and the driver) on their website.

I reckon this is fine because the newest package fails to install with "platform not supported" even though I picked windows 10 64 bit, in the download page.

The older package from ASUS installs fine. I assume it installs the driver.

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z97WS/HelpDesk_Download/

If my board is supported by the newer package, then please tell me which one to download if not "windows 10, 64 bit" from this page (or fix your installer):

Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

I've tried the "setup rst exe" variant.

1b30f69e52fe9440d5c386f3f5ff7fef

Version: 15.8.1.1007 (Latest) Date: 9/12/2017

I surmise someone forgot to translate a string, so the installer is crapping out on me for no good reason - please check the IntelRST.log.

It could be that I need to enables RAID in bios for it to detect my "platform" as supported, but that is a chicken - egg problem in this particular case.

i.e. I can  not boot if I enable RAID in BIOS.

That was the background.

The final objective:

I want to stripe two drives in my system and access them from Gentoo (I am not asking for help with this process).

There is a total of 4 drives in the system. Windows is not on a completely separate drive.

Come to think of it, let us simplify the problem;

Forget the other drives and the kind of RAID I want to set up and how I plan to use it.

The problem:

I need instructions on how to enable Windows 10 to boot from a non-raid drive while the motherboard SATA access is configured in RAID mode after the windows OS has been installed to a non-raid drive.

-------------------------------------------------------

I have also tried the "sysprep" method to allow windows to detect new hardware - but I did  not use the "generalize" option. Perhaps I need to do that?

Anyway, I rolled back to a backup because It created a whole new user and messed up my quick-launch-bar and some other user settings.