Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Not able to install the camera driver - Intel® RealSense™ Depth Camera Manager. Error says, "The installer failed to detect an Intel® RealSense™ 3D camera on this system."

NRohi1
Beginner

Hi,

I have Intel Realsense R200 camera. It was working perfectly fine. I was able to connect it to Windows 10 system, able to install the DCM and SDK. I was also able to run SDK sample applications successfully. But suddenly it stopped working. My system is not recognizing the camera anymore.

I have uninstalled the DCM and tried to reinstall it. While reinstalling the DCM, I am getting the error : "The installer failed to detect an Intel® RealSense™ 3D camera on this system."

In Device Manager, now Imaging devices is missing as the device is not getting recognized.

I have tried troubleshooting steps mentioned in the following links:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006264/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology.html?eu-cookie-notice Error: Camera Not Found for Intel® RealSense™ Cameras

I have also tried to connect it to a different Windows 10 as well as a Ubuntu 14.04 system. But no success.

The camera was working fine but it has suddenly stopped working. I am stuck since last two days.

Please Advise how to resolve it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you have used the camera on different PCs with Wndows 10 and Ubuntu and the camera is not detected, that would lead me to think that the problem is likely to be with the firmware driver stored inside the camera. My reasoning for this is that if the problem was with the Windows drivers that the DCM installs, or with an update that Windows has installed, the camera would still be detectable on a Linux machine, since it does not rely on those Windows drivers.

If the camera has a problem such as corruption with the firmware driver stored inside it though then that will cause a detection problem that is carried across to any other PC that the camera is plugged into.

In this situation, you can end up in a dilemma where the DCM program can install the firmware driver in the camera, but may not be able to do so if the install process cannot complete because the camera cannot be detected.

There is though a process to 'force' a firmware update to be installed on the camera without having ti use the DCM program. If you have successfully installed the R200 on your Windows PC at least once then there should be a firmware updater file somewhere on your computer. The process is described here.

https://gist.github.com/Ashwinning/28d8a608b9d9543617e9 How to force update the RealSense R200 firmware · GitHub

Finding the updater file FWUpdateR200.exe can be tricky, as it is stored in a folder location that is unique to each PC. I once wrote a procedure for locating the file.

0 Kudos
NRohi1
Beginner

Thanks for the guidance. I have searched my entire system but I am not able to find that file. I followed your link and there is a directory :

C:\ProgramData\Intel\Installer\rs_sdk_2014\cache\5dd044b0-1d78-11e6-99d2-2c44fd873b55\plugins but that file is not present even in this directory.

Following files are present in this directory

It would be very helpful if you can send that file to me or suggest any other way to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Apologies for the delay in responding. I did a fresh install of the R200 DCM, but - like your PC - the FWUpdate file was not present. I don't know if the FWUpdate program has been removed from the DCM since the last time that such a search for the file worked.

Without that file, it is necessary to fall back on other methods for restoring the ability of Windows to detect a camera. The method with the most successful proven track record for restoring undetectable RealSense cameras is to plug the camera into a mains-powered USB hub instead of plugging it directly into the PC. These are available for around $15 from stores such as Amazon by searching for 'powered usb 3.0 hub'.

0 Kudos